Festool TS 55 won't start

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Festool TS 55 won't start

Post by algale »

I know there are some other Festool users here so hoping to get some help. I went to use my TS 55 track saw today and it wouldn't start. Not a sound. I bought this new probably 6 years ago but it has been very, very lightly used. Never dropped. Last time I used it, it purred like a kitten. Put it away. today, nothing.

Was able to run a circular saw off the same circuit and extension cord, so that's not the issue.

I took the power cord off the saw and reinstalled. Nothing.

Any ideas?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Festool TS 55 won't start

Post by jsburger »

I assume you checked the continuity of the power cord. The next thing I would check is the switch if you can get to it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 pm I assume you checked the continuity of the power cord. The next thing I would check is the switch if you can get to it.
Haven't checked either. Don't have a continuity tester.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Alan,

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had a problem with mine yet. If the power cord is good, brushes maybe? Have you tried checking them and/or re-seating them? There is also a thermal overload device, but it sounds like the saw was cold beforehand so I doubt it was that...unless you were using it a lot and it got overheated right beforehand. I searched a bit on FOG - Festool Owner's Group forum and didn't see anything else that jumped out at me. It is a 3 year warranty on it, so it is out of warranty unfortunately. If all else fails you could still go through them on the repair if you can't figure it out.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:48 pm
jsburger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 pm I assume you checked the continuity of the power cord. The next thing I would check is the switch if you can get to it.
Haven't checked either. Don't have a continuity tester.
Without an Ohm meter I don't know how you would determine what is wrong. A cheap Volt/Ohm meter is under $10 most places.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Then there is the idiot light(flashlight with probe and aligator clip at the end of a short length of wire).

Al have you tried rotating the blade(unplugged of course). Might restore brush/armature contact.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do and if I figure it out, I'll report back.

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

This is embarrassing. The problem was simple. The Festool power cord has a lock that must be twisted to fully engage. Even though the first thing I tried was to remove it and put it back on, apparently I did not twist it far enough and it wasn't locked on. A good twist and now it is making sawdust again.

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:40 am This is embarrassing. The problem was simple. The Festool power cord has a lock that must be twisted to fully engage. Even though the first thing I tried was to remove it and put it back on, apparently I did not twist it far enough and it wasn't locked on. A good twist and now it is making sawdust again.
Alan,

Glad to hear it and thanks for updating us. Good to know.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Glad it was that simple.(no $$$$)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange