Im happy I finally signed up

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ShellyHi
Bronze Member

Im happy I finally signed up

Post by ShellyHi »

Truly loads of excellent material!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Im happy I finally signed up

Post by jsburger »

Hmmm...
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Watching!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What do you expect to see.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

An unrelated link added at some point. We have seen more than one first poster with exactly the same subject and very close to the same text in the post. Probably a BOT. These need to be watched for SPAM.

Do you really think this is a legitimate first post???
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No, but innocuous fer the present.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Sure, Admin could chose to ban BUT upon what basis? Simply because.....???? What harm is being done right now by this post? Is there any? I see one effect at the moment; membership count is inflated by "1".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Is anyone advocating banning this poster? I see only that a few folks are commenting that ShellyHi's first (and as of this moment only) post fits the pattern of previous spammers or bots and therefore this post should be monitored. Nothing more.

ShellyHi -- we love pictures! Please post a picture of your Shopsmith and resolve the controversy! ;-)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:45 am Is anyone advocating banning this poster? I see only that a few folks are commenting that ShellyHi's first (and as of this moment only) post fits the pattern of previous spammers or bots and therefore this post should be monitored. Nothing more.

ShellyHi -- we love pictures! Please post a picture of your Shopsmith and resolve the controversy! ;-)
How can I see "the pattern of other spammer or Bots" if they were banned OR were allowed to post and have not caused havoc on the forum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Ok the pattern is this: a "new user" (probably a bot) signs up and makes a single post resembling the above. It's perfectly innocuous and gets forgotten. Some time later the bot comes back and edits the post to insert a spam link in an effort to game search engine results (the more links to a site, the higher that site generally appears in search results). Very often the link will be camouflaged by changing the text color and size in an effort to make it invisible. It's nothing to harm THIS site, it's just abusing this site to its own ends. Anyway, when this happens, one of us who has been watching for this sort of thing will report it.

So nothing is being asked of you regarding this post at this time. Only that this thread is worth keeping an eye on.

Unless of course ShellyHi proves us all wrong, which I welcome!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466