DC3300 taking me back to hundreds of cubic feet per minute

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

DC3300 taking me back to hundreds of cubic feet per minute

Post by nuhobby »

OFF TOPIC, fer sure !!!

Sometimes when I run the Shopsmith DC3300, I hear the same "moan" of an old-time V8 engine opening up the carburetor to full capacity.

I'm not as old as many here, but a brief trip down memory lane:
I found this video. My dad had an *identical* used '71 Chevy van, which we ran through the 1980s:
https://youtu.be/-4boQuty0Ew?si=j9tby5T-ZUbT3KRs

The blue van was unusually fast. Sometime in the 80s, one cylinder head had developed a coolant crack, and the parts-counter guys at NAPA were confused that the cracked head had casting numbers meant for an early Chevy Z28 Camaro.

On that 4-barrel carburetor: Despite his generally thrifty ways, my dad would take an opportunity to open that thing fully up now and then. It was one thing to hear than moan with the van all buttoned up, but a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL to hear it when the engine-cover was removed, and a V8 was running between the knees of the driver and the passenger! Dad did that once with me riding saddle, and he would "pet" the engine while making it seem like an untamed animal with his throttle foot. He liked to get it up to 100mph as a "quality test" following any significant repairs. 100mph with the engine breathing near my left knee was one of the most exhilarating experiences I ever had!!