Greenie Parts replacement help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bronze Member

Greenie Parts replacement help

Post by 2106 »

Hello, my first post on the forum.

I have acquired a 1956 Shopsmith which I believe is known as a greenie. It was in rough condition. I hate to see good things thrown in the landfill when they still have life left in them. This machine seems well built. The parts are stamped USA. Hard to find good old solid AMERICAN craftsmanship today, no matter what the cost. I have completely disassembled the unit including the headstock. There is a small collar plastic piece which acts as some type of bushing between the male and female spline shafts and slides into the quill. Shopsmith listed only one type headstock unit for all models in their parts section. I saw the part I needed was available, so I ordered this part number #514083 ring assembly. While awaiting for the part I invested many hours in continuing the restoration, painting, and belts. The ring assembly arrived and is massive and doesn't fit. It is way too large and the gear teeth molded into the plastic don't fit the teeth on the spline. I have a one bearing quill and all bearings are quiet and smooth. I contacted Shopsmith who said sorry but we will sell you a upgraded two bearing quill for $400. I need a $5 plastic ring, I can buy a complete used newer shopsmith all the time for less than $500.

I know someone with a 3D printer. Can I get the specs or something so I can get one made? The old plastic collar is small, thin, and in pieces it was totally disintegrated, maybe from age. Can some other part from something fit that I can get from the internet be modified? I'm sure a machine shop could make something but that would be quite expensive.

Anyone have a old part that they would sell?

Can anyone offer me any advice or suggestions?

Thanks
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Greenie Parts replacement help

Post by edma194 »

Post some pictures of the parts so we can accurately identify them. Used parts are available and you don't need the exact main spindle configuration the machine had originally.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I made the same mistake on this same part about 40 years ago. ;) It wasn't available then either and I have never seen them for sale. It is not strictly necessary for the headstock to run, I ran mine for decades without one. Unlike the part you acquired, the older Gilmer headstocks have a metal to metal drive for the quill spindle. I believe the purpose of the part is to reduce the noise coming from that metal to metal drive. Mine was never in usable condition, so I don't have first hand experience with that. If my understanding of its purpose is correct, I believe a replacement needs to have two different IDs, a very snug fit over the outside of the drive sleeve and a looser fit over the splines, which need to slide axially as the quill extends.

I believe the only part Shopsmith has ever carried that is unique to the Gilmer drive machines is the belt itself.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The part is essentially a dust cap only. As for noise reduction, a thick layer of grease accomplishes that. That grease is the reason for a dust cap.

Yes I think one could be 3d printed. David provided the necessary design goals.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

As has already been said the plastic cap on the end of the Drive Sleeve shown below is not necessary for the Mark 5 Gilmer Drive system to function. The first mark 5 Greenies made did not have the plastic cap.

_
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve.jpg
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 621 times
If you desire to keep your Mark 5 Greenie original, great. Some owners have chosen to upgrade their early Mark 5 (all Greenies and early Goldies) from the Gilmer Drive to the Poly V Drive. That is where all those costs come in. You have to replace the Idler Shaft Sheeve, Drive Sleeve Assembly and the Quill Assembly plus a belt.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MechaNickW
Bronze Member

Post by MechaNickW »

Hello! I actually designed and 3D printed one of these fittings when restoring my Greening from 1955. This link will allow you to download a file for your friend to 3D print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1990694

Glad to see this get some use by anyone doing restorations on these amazing machines. All the best!