Acceptable Quill Shaft runout SS 510

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dougd1
Bronze Member

Acceptable Quill Shaft runout SS 510

Post by dougd1 »

My quill shaft runout on my Shopsmith 510 is about 0.003" to .0004", using the guide rails as my reference. When I mount a blade to the quill shaft, the runout is amplifying to about 0.014" when measured at the root of the saw blade teeth (using the same reference point). What should I expect to see for a runout on the quill shaft and a mounted saw blade? Any help appreciated.

Doug
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Acceptable Quill Shaft runout SS 510

Post by DLB »

I don't think we have defined minimums. With a two bearing quill I expect quill runout to be under 0.001" (based mostly on experience) and will live with 0.002". Worse than that, I expect to improve it with bearing service. Excellent blades (Forrest for example) claim under 0.001". Fair to worse blades usually don't specify. From what I've seen Shopsmith's current thin-kerf offerings are fairly low runout, under 0.004" mounted IIRC on a very small sample size. I saw more runout using the standard kerf from the previous generation, also a small sample size, I'm not sure of the number but I think roughly as large as you are experiencing.

FWIW I just checked Forrest specs to check my info, and they say with other brands 0.004" / 0.010" is common.

- David
dougd1
Bronze Member

Post by dougd1 »

thanks for that. Can you replace the bearings on the quill shaft? I checked the SS website and the only thing I could find was an entire quill shaft assembly, but no part listing for the bearings themselves.
Doug
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dougd1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:39 pm thanks for that. Can you replace the bearings on the quill shaft? I checked the SS website and the only thing I could find was an entire quill shaft assembly, but no part listing for the bearings themselves.
Doug
Yes. Shopsmith generally doesn't sell the bearings for most assemblies, but replacement in most cases is straightforward. Easier if you have access to a press. Assuming you have a two bearing quill there are three types of quills with differing bearing needs and methods. Jacob Anderson has some good videos on this and explains the differences: https://jacobvb.wordpress.com/youtube-videos-2/
Depending on your level of comfort around the SS and bearing replacement, you can go straight to "Replacing bearings on a double bearing quill." If you are less comfortable, precede that with the one on removing the quill and the one on inspecting quill bearings. One of those gives the required combinations of bearings depending on quill type.

Note - Jacob A no longer does SS repairs.

- David