Vise

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Real1shepperd
Gold Member

Vise

Post by Real1shepperd »

I'm hoping I wasn't seeing something Photoshopped.....

I saw a pic of a 10ER with what looked like a machinist vise on the shaft. I can think of a lot of uses if that's the case. Is there such a thing and has anyone done it?

Kevin
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Vise

Post by JPG »

Yes I have two. However it requires the use of a faceplate to mount to the SS quill.

Are you sure it was not a wood working chuck? They do look similar, but are far lighter than the machinist variety.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Real1shepperd
Gold Member

Post by Real1shepperd »

I'm not sure at all. It looked like a machinist vise, but I could be wrong. I'm not gonna do any metal machining with the 10ER, but would like to be able to clamp larger metal-shaped things so I can spin & polish them.

Do you have any pics of what you have?

Kevin
Real1shepperd
Gold Member

Post by Real1shepperd »

Wrong terminology. What I want is an independent four-jaw *chuck*....around 6" in diameter as it turns out. I finally got ahold of Skip and he's planning to have these on his site at some point. In the interim, he gave me some company names to get the adapter and the chuck I needed.

If I'm successful with this and it all works without modification, I'll give further info if anyone is interested.

Kevin