Shopmate 5 in 1 tool

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Miltinker
Bronze Member

Shopmate 5 in 1 tool

Post by Miltinker »

New to the forum
I was on FB market place and someone listed a shopmate 5-1 tool. I’ve never seen this before. Anyone heard of this before? I have searched all over Google and have found nothing about this tool. Image
Attachments
IMG_0255.jpeg
IMG_0255.jpeg (259.79 KiB) Viewed 980 times
IMG_0256.jpeg
IMG_0256.jpeg (289.83 KiB) Viewed 980 times
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0254.jpeg (302.87 KiB) Viewed 980 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopmate 5 in 1 tool

Post by JPG »

That is a Chinese knock off of a Shop Smith Mark 5.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Miltinker
Bronze Member

Post by Miltinker »

Interesting,
Looks old. When was China making these things?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Miltinker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:52 am Interesting,
Looks old. When was China making these things?
Maybe Taiwan. There were a number of Taiwanese clones of the Shopsmith Mark V (later known as Model 500) in the 1980's when most of the Shopsmith patents ran out. Most were made by one company but sold under various names. My guess is that this is one of those. It would be hard to put a value on it, an actual Shopsmith Mark V from this time frame is not particularly valuable and a clone introduces some challenges. Maintaining it today would depend a lot on how faithfully it was cloned, Shopsmith parts are readily available but other brands are not.

- David
Miltinker
Bronze Member

Post by Miltinker »

Good to know

I have two shopsmith 10er. I don’t plan to move in to the 500 or mark v. Don’t have the room!
Thanks for the information
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Definitely a clone but the first I recall seeing named Shop Mate. Notice the power switch location on the lower front of the Headstock in the third picture from Miltinker. Also, it appears to have a smooth top cast iron Extension Table like the one pictured below with a Mark 5 Extension Table from the 1950's. Both are a single cast type that include the fence rail.

_
CI and AL Extension Tables top.jpg
CI and AL Extension Tables top.jpg (161.92 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The name used in this case is interesting since Shopsmith used the ShopMate name on some of their accessories for a time. An example is the Lathe Chisel set below.

_
Version 10 505586 Shopmate name with SS logo chisels.jpg
Version 10 505586 Shopmate name with SS logo chisels.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The above set of Lathe Chisels were the last Shopsmith sold with their name and/or the ShopMate name. In July 2017 Shopsmith began buying an 8 chisel set from Savannah Woodworking Tools & Accessories as their basic Lathe Chisel set. In March 2022 Shopsmith changed to a set from Benjamin’s Best.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The clones are largely compatible with Shopsmith machines, although minor differences are found. The main problem with them is the lack of quality. Good enough for an owner who didn't use it much if it came in good condition but I've heard stories about them never working quite right. Considering the low price of used 500s even if it's free and you have extra space to keep it in, extra time on your hands, and extra gas in your truck, you still might be overpaying.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER