Is it worth it?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oso2you
Gold Member

Is it worth it?

Post by oso2you »

Proud owner of a SS for 45 years. Sometimes after I make it nice and shiny, I step back a just admire the engineering that went into making it and what a great machine it is. I sometimes think of an upgrade to a Power Pro but.........here's the rub: I have read numerous posts regarding problems with this version and what owners have to do to get it working properly. I really don't think that after spending $2,700 or so I should have to worry about it working properly. No, I don't think it is overpriced if it works as advertised.

It would be interesting to know how many of the new models are returned to SS for repairs or have to be repaired by the new owners. This shouldn't be necessary. I think SS is going to be in trouble if they don't start making new machines that are as reliable as the old models. Quality has always been a SS trademark. I don't know if it is a factor of quality control or with the basic design. Word gets around and sales are likely to suffer because of this. I want SS to succeed. It is a great company. I hope the new owner is able to make positive changes.
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by JPG »

Reeves mechanical drives are simple and reliable.

Stepping motors and control circuitry are complicated and more prone to failure.

Such is the price for "improvement".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I like the PowerPro and wouldn't want to be without it. And $2700 in shop upgrade(s) is a lot of money. I have two, the second I bought used and one DIY with the upgrade kit. Both are Gen 1. I rationalized the first and it appeared to me to be worth it at the time as part of a 520 to Mark 7 upgrade. (IIRC the PP DIY was about $1800 then, Lowe's live demo pricing which included delivery and a veteran's discount through Lowe's.) At the time, used equipment pricing for a M7 or PP headstock were pretty high, sufficient to justify the purchase. And I was expecting to sell my shaper and use the M7 as a shaper, on paper it has similar capabilities to my standalone with the added benefit of a table system common to the rest of my shop. In reality it is not on par with my shaper. And since Gen 2 came out I think that has depressed the value of Gen 1 headstocks and Gen 1 equipped M7's. In addition to my cost rationalization the machine is a pleasure to use compared to the old-school headstock and it makes me happy, an important result for my time in the shop. I'm still happy with it, but my cost rationalization would not hold up today. I regret my purchase of a second used PowerPro, I did it to upgrade a 520 shorty that is essentially a dedicated Table Saw. My money would probably have been better spent on a new dedicated Table Saw instead of an upgrade.

The 'is it worth it?' question then begs another cost assessment and you also have to consider the non-cost factors. This is going to be different for everyone. Based on the first interview that Scott Markwood did with Nick, the new management, I'm not expecting the Gen 2 to last. He specifically discussed better ventilation (headstock cooling) and user interface improvements. If those upgrades happen and if the cost is reasonable, those will lower the resale value of Gen 1 and Gen 2 IMO.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't know how many Power Pro units have needed repair or more importantly what percentage of Power Pro Headstock sold have had problems. JPG has said it best
Reeves mechanical drives are simple and reliable.

Stepping motors and control circuitry are complicated and more prone to failure.

Such is the price for "improvement".
Like David I bought the Power Pro (Gen 1) DYI upgrade to make my Mark V a Mark 7. I have not had any problems with it. I believe we hear more about problems than successes when it comes to things like this.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I agree with Russ. I bought a SS full up Power Pro head stock in Dec of 2011 and it was delivered to the house in Jan 2012. It was bout at a Lowes demonstration so I got the demo price, Lowes Veteran discount and free shipping and the price was going up in Jan 2012. I love it and have not had a bit of trouble with it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I have the DIY Power Pro Gen1. I like it.
That said-i never used the older version with the wind up handle-so i cant really compare.

Mine had the caps blow out on the main board...it went back to SS and I was down for ..hmm 4 months?
Since it came back, its been running fine for about 2 years now.

b