Dado blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Real1shepperd
Gold Member

Dado blades

Post by Real1shepperd »

OK, I've got the original dado blades set and center dial indicator for my 10ER. I've never used it, but the machine was stored down in a damp cellar of a commercial building for over 20 yrs before I bought it. Remarkably, it had very little rust and cleaned up nicely(for me). But it had a bench with the center drawer. I guess maybe through condensation and being stored horizontally(because there was no overhead leak), stuff on top in the drawer got really rusted. Which included the dado blades. I removed most of the rust but as you know, when teeth get rusty, they lose their sharp edges.

I sharpened the original saw blades with the appropriate machine and they cut like butter but they don't hold up for long like modern carbide tooth blades. Putting a modern blade in there was like Nirvana. So my question is.....do I send these original dado blades somewhere to be sandblasted/sharpened or buy what would be compatible with the center dial indicators?

Kevin
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Dado blades

Post by JPG »

If you have replaced them with newer carbide tipped blades, a wall decoration function comes to mind.

Center dial indicators??? If you have a SS wobble blade, send it to a museum.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Kevin,

Like JPG I'm not sure what you are referring to as a center dial indicator for your Model 10ER. Are you referring to the angled center hubs that set the width of cut on the Wobble Dado Blade? As for the Dado Blades there were two types made back in the Model 10era. The 8" Wobble Dado Blade (first picture below) and the Stack Dado Blade sets (second picture below) which are 6" in diameter.

_
12 060 Dado Blade r.jpg
12 060 Dado Blade r.jpg (174.2 KiB) Viewed 212 times
The wobble dado came out in the Model 10 era and continued into the 1960's. Stack Dado sets are the primary type still in use today.
_
12 063 Dado Stack Blades.jpg
12 063 Dado Stack Blades.jpg (391.86 KiB) Viewed 212 times
There were two different Dado Table Inserts made for the Model 10E and 10ER one being for the 8" Wobble Dado and the other for the 6" stack Dado.

_
Dado Table Insert r.jpg
Dado Table Insert r.jpg (179.66 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Unless you are really attached to the Dado Blade that came with your Model 10ER I would suggest getting a good set of carbide tipped Dado Blades for actual use. As you said,
I sharpened the original saw blades with the appropriate machine and they cut like butter but they don't hold up for long like modern carbide tooth blades.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Real1shepperd
Gold Member

Post by Real1shepperd »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:27 pm Kevin,

Like JPG I'm not sure what you are referring to as a center dial indicator for your Model 10ER. Are you referring to the angled center hubs that set the width of cut on the Wobble Dado Blade? As for the Dado Blades there were two types made back in the Model 10era. The 8" Wobble Dado Blade (first picture below) and the Stack Dado Blade sets (second picture below) which are 6" in diameter.

_
12 060 Dado Blade r.jpg
The wobble dado came out in the Model 10 era and continued into the 1960's. Stack Dado sets are the primary type still in use today.
_
12 063 Dado Stack Blades.jpg
There were two different Dado Table Inserts made for the Model 10E and 10ER one being for the 8" Wobble Dado and the other for the 6" stack Dado.

_
Dado Table Insert r.jpg

Unless you are really attached to the Dado Blade that came with your Model 10ER I would suggest getting a good set of carbide tipped Dado Blades for actual use. As you said,
I sharpened the original saw blades with the appropriate machine and they cut like butter but they don't hold up for long like modern carbide tooth blades.
Russ, I've got the first setup you pictured. I have no idea how to use it yet. No, I'm not at all attached to a 'wobble dado blade' setup....lol. I don't have those table dado inserts either.

Can someone please post a pic of new, modern dado blades set up on a 10ER. Visuals go a long way with me.

Kevin