Control sheave loop repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Sugarstonejim
Bronze Member

Control sheave loop repair

Post by Sugarstonejim »

I’m embarrassed to say that I allowed my 20 year old Mark V sheaves to freeze up and could no longer change speeds. But between posts on this forum and Jacob Anderson’s videos I was able to dismantle the headstock and put it back into working order. In doing so, however, I discovered that the roll pin that fits through the hole in the control sheave bearing button was missing and I couldn’t reattach the speed control loop. I ordered a new roll pin from Shopsmith but decided to make a temporary fix while waiting for the new pin. It turns out that the plastic ink reservoir in an old ballpoint pen had the perfect inside and outside diameters and it worked like a champ! Here are a couple of pictures.
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0171.jpeg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 292 times
IMG_0169.jpeg
IMG_0169.jpeg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 292 times
IMG_0170.jpeg
IMG_0170.jpeg (123.15 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Control sheave loop repair

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Inky!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Cool solution. Ball point pen tubes have a lot of uses, some I don't want to mention here or admit knowing about, but this is a good one.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A proper sized roll pin would be available from a local hardware store. If only SS would provide standard hardware descriptions like they did a half century ago.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange