New Owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New Owner

Post by chapmanruss »

This is what that flat spring looks like in position as shown in the picture below. It is the part under the arrow not what the arrow is pointing to. Sorry it's the only picture I could find of it right now.

_
speed control - arrow.jpg
speed control - arrow.jpg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: New Owner

Post by DLB »

OlympicFail wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:54 pm ...The roll pin that attaches the headstock lock handle to the threaded rod is very much stuck. Possibly cold fused to the aluminum. Thats going to be a pain to deal with. I've had it soaking in PB blaster for the past 2 days and still no luck...
As I understand it, in the early Mark 5 days the roll pin hole was not drilled all the way through the lock handle, so the pin could be installed but not removed by conventional means. I believe some people have solved this by drilling a guide hole through the center of the pin, then counter-boring the lock handle. The pin can then be driven out normally. If yours has both holes, this concern has already been addressed but you might want to check their work. The SS approved method is to cut the rod and replace the parts, so you can't go too far wrong trying for your own solution. It's worth noting, especially after the pin is out, that the handle is LH threads.

- David