Table Saw Cutting Funny

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Table Saw Cutting Funny

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:01 pm RFGuy. Sorry to see you go. I have always valued you opinion on this forum. I will miss your content. My previous jointer was a small bench top jointer by Delta. I think it's even shorter than the SM Joiner but it will do 6" material. I surfaced the top and bottom of my material with a planer and then joined the edge to put against the fence. In talking with a fellow woodworker friend of mine he reminded me the batch of wood from this mill has had a lot of prestress in it. He purchased wood from the same lot I did and he was having issues with it pinching and binding in his saw. He suggests it's moving on me and it's not my saw. I'm beginning to agree with him.
Kevin,

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yeah, only two things can cause this issue that I know of. Either improper milling (usually not properly jointed and planed) or internal stress released during/after sawing. IF you have a short bed jointer (like a benchtop unit or the Shopsmith 4" jointer) you might want to make infeed/outfeed extensions for it, or buy a jointer with a longer bed. Otherwise you will simply be following the curvature of the wood and NOT removing it. Glad you got it figured out.
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

What is "SM"?
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:16 pm What is "SM"?
HopefullSSer. Sorry... It should be SS. not SM... Typo on my part. sorry for the confusion.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

AWWWWW I thought it was sado masochistic!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

JPG wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:00 pm AWWWWW I thought it was sado masochistic!
Hey Now.... :eek:
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

A lot of good things to check on here.

I would first examine my jointed edge against a known straight edge. Looking for that awful thing known as snipe.

If that edge is good, with the saw off, I would push against my guides, table, blade, spindle, etc to look for movement or deflection , there shouldn't be any.

Make sure you are using featherboards to help keep the stock against the fence.

Make sure you have good support for those long, kinda heavy boards behind the blade.

When cutting, do you hear a noticeable change in blade speed like the blade is slowing down a lot?

b