Table Saw Cutting Funny

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davebodner
Gold Member

Re: Table Saw Cutting Funny

Post by davebodner »

Maybe this question will help diagnosis: Which way is the cut curving? Convex to the left or to the right? Does it happen consistently? Does the same thing happen on a crosscut?

Put a straightedge on your saw blade and on your fence.

Finally, wood will move. Cutting it can release stresses, so your cuts end up not straight. In this case, the width of each piece should be consistent even if the pieces are curved. If the cuts themselves are curved, then the width of your pieces should vary. Check the width of the curved pieces all along the length.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

KCollins wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 am Well guys I can honestly say I definitely did not get a kick back but I cannot definitely say the wood did not move on me. It has in the past... I have had it close the saw kerf and pinch my riving knife and all sorts of issues in the past cutting this batch of walnut. So I can't rule it out but... I ripped a 5.25" by 34" board at 2.5". That first piece is straight as an arrow. The second piece I ripped had the arc to it. Why would one move and not the other? I had 3 boards that were 34" and all three of them did the same thing on the second cut. I could try cutting some other kind of wood to see if I have the same issue. That would be easy enough. If I can get the rain to let off long enough to the get saw out today I'll give that a try.
That being the case I suspect you are seeing the same thing again.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Russ,

ON THE FIRST PICTURE WITH ALL 6 BOARDS IN IT. One end with all the boards flush is 15.5"strong wide. The other end with the gaps is 16" on the money.
THE TWO BOARDS TO THE RIGHT OF THE 4 THAT ARE FLUSH TO ONE ANOTHER. Measure 1/16" narrower at the gap end than at the flush end.
IF YOU MEASURE THE REMAINING 4 THAT ARE FLUSH. They are exactly 10.5" wide on both ends.

Hope this helps clarify.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Plywood isn't a bad idea.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Kevin,

I am no longer active on the forum, but I believe your post and the responses you received illustrates a point I failed to get across to other members of this forum in the past so I will interject here on this thread in one final attempt. IF this isn't your problem, I apologize for the following...Can you explain how you jointed the boards? What jointer was used, was it the Shopsmith 4" jointer? At the link below I discuss challenges with the Shopsmith 4" jointer, but I encourage you to watch the video shown there as it shows what I will explain next. What you describe and the pictures you show suggest the boards were not jointed fully IMHO and/or were jointed on a jointer with too short of a bed length. Step 1 with new lumber is to face joint the board to get one flat reference surface. This is problematic on the Shopsmith jointer because it is only 4" wide and also the bed length is too short (which means any curvature of the board will not be taken out). Step 2, once you have one flat face is to joint an edge making it exactly square to that flat face surface you referenced. Step 3 is to plane the opposite face side making it parallel to the other flat face from the jointer, but also reducing board thickness to final thickness dimension. Step 4 is to use the jointed edge as a reference against the tablesaw fence to rip the other edge parallel to it and reaching final width dimension. This process is the ONLY way to ensure a woodworker can take raw lumber or even surfaced lumber that is irregular from the big box store/lumberyard and make it perfectly square, straight and parallel on all sides. Yes, you will see YT videos of people suggesting other methods as a substitute to jointing for the shop that doesn't have a jointer. I have even seen people try to suggest they can joint on a tablesaw which isn't true. IF your lumber is fairly straight to begin with, has not internal stress when cut and isn't twisted, then a woodworker can often get by with just a tablesaw and achieve acceptable results most of the time. When your lumber is more natural and hasn't already been pre-milled for you, you MUST follow the steps I describe above to get acceptable results. I hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?p=312055#p312055

Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

It might be interesting to see the boards in the first picture paired back as they were when you ripped them. They look like you moved them around,flipping faces or swapping ends looking for best fit and grain patterns (certainly nothing wrong with that) but I would say some of those would not even fit back together to themselves cut to cut just because of the stress being released.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I suggest thee stop chasing thy tail be comparing edges of different boards.

You need a known straight reference(straight edge or table surface) to critique each board edge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Is a feather board (or equivalent) being used to keep the stock pressed tight against the fence ahead of the cut?
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:53 pm Kevin,

I am no longer active on the forum, but I believe your post and the responses you received illustrates a point I failed to get across to other members of this forum in the past so I will interject here on this thread in one final attempt. IF this isn't your problem, I apologize for the following...Can you explain how you jointed the boards? What jointer was used, was it the Shopsmith 4" jointer? At the link below I discuss challenges with the Shopsmith 4" jointer, but I encourage you to watch the video shown there as it shows what I will explain next. What you describe and the pictures you show suggest the boards were not jointed fully IMHO and/or were jointed on a jointer with too short of a bed length. Step 1 with new lumber is to face joint the board to get one flat reference surface. This is problematic on the Shopsmith jointer because it is only 4" wide and also the bed length is too short (which means any curvature of the board will not be taken out). Step 2, once you have one flat face is to joint an edge making it exactly square to that flat face surface you referenced. Step 3 is to plane the opposite face side making it parallel to the other flat face from the jointer, but also reducing board thickness to final thickness dimension. Step 4 is to use the jointed edge as a reference against the tablesaw fence to rip the other edge parallel to it and reaching final width dimension. This process is the ONLY way to ensure a woodworker can take raw lumber or even surfaced lumber that is irregular from the big box store/lumberyard and make it perfectly square, straight and parallel on all sides. Yes, you will see YT videos of people suggesting other methods as a substitute to jointing for the shop that doesn't have a jointer. I have even seen people try to suggest they can joint on a tablesaw which isn't true. IF your lumber is fairly straight to begin with, has not internal stress when cut and isn't twisted, then a woodworker can often get by with just a tablesaw and achieve acceptable results most of the time. When your lumber is more natural and hasn't already been pre-milled for you, you MUST follow the steps I describe above to get acceptable results. I hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?p=312055#p312055

RFGuy. Sorry to see you go. I have always valued you opinion on this forum. I will miss your content. My previous jointer was a small bench top jointer by Delta. I think it's even shorter than the SM Joiner but it will do 6" material. I surfaced the top and bottom of my material with a planer and then joined the edge to put against the fence. In talking with a fellow woodworker friend of mine he reminded me the batch of wood from this mill has had a lot of prestress in it. He purchased wood from the same lot I did and he was having issues with it pinching and binding in his saw. He suggests it's moving on me and it's not my saw. I'm beginning to agree with him.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 am I suggest thee stop chasing thy tail be comparing edges of different boards.

You need a known straight reference(straight edge or table surface) to critique each board edge.
Your wisdom is sound JPG. ;)
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510