Quill coupler broken - where to source new part?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Quill coupler broken - where to source new part?

Post by chapmanruss »

The Drive & Ring Assembly attaches to the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly and is the plastic drive part with a metal ring inside. That metal ring holds the drive on the splined end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly by "snapping" into the indents in the splines. You can see those indents on the splines (right side) in the picture below of the Drive Sleeve Assembly.

_
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V.jpg
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 420 times
The picture below shows a Poly V Drive Sleeve Assembly with the Drive and Ring in place. The arrow indicates the location of the ring.

_
Poly V Drive.png
Poly V Drive.png (622.47 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Today, I think I learned that there are at least two versions of the Drive and Ring. I might have them mixed up, but I think this one has been in my parts drawer for 40 years since I mistakenly bought it for my Greenie, and I think it is the same as one I received recently. Externally, it has some differences from the one Russ posted:

Drive and Ring.jpg
Drive and Ring.jpg (73.16 KiB) Viewed 405 times

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David you are correct. The one in yesterday's post is, I believe an older version. The one on a Drive Sleeve Assembly below is like the one you show.

_
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V with Drive and Ring.jpg
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V with Drive and Ring.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 346 times
I believe I have a spare like the one shown above I bought from Shopsmith not too long ago. I'll have to check so I am not getting the versions mixed up.

EDIT:

The spare I recently purchased is the one shown above.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The two version shown above are interchangeable for mark 5/V/7.

Mark VII may require the first one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
danielsegge
Bronze Member

Post by danielsegge »

The part came in the mail today, and was in fact the correct part. Also as stated above, the part looks different externally than the original but fits the splines correctly.
chapmanruss wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:12 pm
The picture below shows a Poly V Drive Sleeve Assembly with the Drive and Ring in place. The arrow indicates the location of the ring.

_
Poly V Drive.png
So I tried installing the new part and this ring is giving me trouble. Am I supposed to install the drive onto the shaft with the ring already seated in the drive? Or do I put the ring on the shaft first, then put the drive on? If I do the first, the drive doesn't fit on the shaft. If I do the second, the ring wont seat into the drive. What am I missing?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

danielsegge wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm So I tried installing the new part and this ring is giving me trouble. Am I supposed to install the drive onto the shaft with the ring already seated in the drive? Or do I put the ring on the shaft first, then put the drive on? If I do the first, the drive doesn't fit on the shaft. If I do the second, the ring wont seat into the drive. What am I missing?
The first is correct, the Drive and Ring should install on the Drive Sleeve as an assembly. Or at least that's how I've done it. The ring acts as a lock. The slight chamfer at the end of the Drive Sleeve splines should open the ring to allow installation and the ring should spring closed when it reaches the groove in the splines. IIRC some persuasion is needed to get it started, I used a mallet with a block of wood protecting the Drive. A puller or press that engaged a different part of the Drive would be more ideal. It would be wise to check your Drive Sleeve bearings before installing the Drive and Ring.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

AIRI,Considerable force IS required to get the sleeve installed onto the shaft. It would be best to backup the rear end of the shaft while applying any impact or force to the sleeve so the bearings are isolated.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

danielsegge,

As JPG and David have already stated it does take some heavy pressure to get the Drive & Ring on the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly. If you look at the first picture from my post on April 20th you can see the slight chamfer David is talking about that should help spread the Ring open as the Drive is pressed over the Drive Sleeve Assembly's splines. As already said it does take some effort but use caution so as not to break the new Drive. Do check the splines for any damage, burrs or debris that could make installing it more difficult. It is easier to install with the Drive Sleeve Assembly out of the Headstock but can be done with it in place inside the Headstock.
Russ

Mark V 520