Quill coupler broken - where to source new part?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

danielsegge
Bronze Member

Quill coupler broken - where to source new part?

Post by danielsegge »

Hello,
I did a stupid thing today, and broke the plastic coupler in the quill assembly of my SS Mark 5. The part in question is the white plastic piece in the picture. I can't seem to find a replacement on ebay or anywhere else. I also don't know if I'm calling it by the wrong name. There are whole quill assemblies for sale with this part included, but I'd rather just by the part I need. Any ideas on where to look?
https://ibb.co/dLf1hQr
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: Quill coupler broken - where to source new part?

Post by HopefulSSer »

Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

danielsegge wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm Hello,
I did a stupid thing today, and broke the plastic coupler in the quill assembly of my SS Mark 5. The part in question is the white plastic piece in the picture. I can't seem to find a replacement on ebay or anywhere else. I also don't know if I'm calling it by the wrong name. There are whole quill assemblies for sale with this part included, but I'd rather just by the part I need. Any ideas on where to look?
What version headstock do you have? The replacement part HopefulSSer identified is the Drive and Ring, and is good for headstocks with a Poly-V upper belt. But your picture didn't look quite right to me and might be the early version, from a Greenie headstock with Gilmer belt. (A few early Goldies are also Gilmer.) In this case it is not a Drive and Ring and not really a coupler. If this is the case we can point you in another direction.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

FWIW when my Greenie was still a Gilmer, the quill was silver not black, and the splines were coarser than those appear to be. And the coupler in the photo doesn't look like the one my Gilmer quill had
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

HopefulSSer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:02 pm FWIW when my Greenie was still a Gilmer, the quill was silver not black, and the splines were coarser than those appear to be. And the coupler in the photo doesn't look like the one my Gilmer quill had
It didn't look my Greenie sleeve either, but mine was totally worn out 40 years ago, I only recently found out what it should look like. ;) It didn't look like a Drive and Ring to me either, but maybe there is an old version.(?)

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:56 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:02 pm FWIW when my Greenie was still a Gilmer, the quill was silver not black, and the splines were coarser than those appear to be. And the coupler in the photo doesn't look like the one my Gilmer quill had
It didn't look my Greenie sleeve either, but mine was totally worn out 40 years ago, I only recently found out what it should look like. ;) It didn't look like a Drive and Ring to me either, but maybe there is an old version.(?)

- David
Picture Please
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

danielsegge wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm Hello,
Is it certain that this is a Shopsmith part and not a clone????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

dusty wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:16 am
DLB wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:56 pm

- David
Picture Please
If that is addressed to me, I no longer own that quill
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

danielsegge,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

As you may have guessed from the posts from other members it makes a difference which drive system your Shopsmith Mark 5 has. Mark 5 Greenies which started in 1954 through Goldies made prior to mid 1961 originally came with the Gilmer Drive while all Mark 5/Vs made after mid 1961 have the Poly V Drive. It is hard to tell from your picture if the back end of the Spindle of the Quill Assembly has 6 splines or 14. Gilmer Drive Spindles have 6 splines and is the easiest way to tell the difference between Gilmer and Poly V Drive Quill Assemblies that have 14 splines. In 1961 just prior to the change to the Poly V Drive there were some Mark 5s with a special Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assembly and Quill Assembly. Their Serial Numbers have a C engraved after the number. They have Drive Sleeve and Quill Assemblies specific to those Mark 5's.

The plastic part you show in the picture does look like the Drive & Ring HopefulSSer provided the links to. Shopsmith now calls it the "Smart Motor Drive & Ring Assembly" and is part number 514083. This part is needed to drive the Quill's Spindle.

On a Gilmer Drive there was a plastic piece added to the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly to cover the end where the Quill's Spindle goes in but is not needed for Drive Sleeve to turn the Spindle.

If you are not sure which Drive System your Mark 5 has let us know and we can help you further.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
danielsegge
Bronze Member

Post by danielsegge »

Thank you all for the replies. The drive spindle has 14 splines. I think the part the Hopeful linked is the one I'm looking for. I wasn't able to navigate Shopsmith's website and parts catalog myself, but there it is right there! I ordered the part, I'll let you all know how it goes.
dusty wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:18 am
Is it certain that this is a Shopsmith part and not a clone????
I am quite certain it is not a clone, though I haven't referenced the serial number.

Thanks!