Universal Lathe Tool Rest min spindle length

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Matanuska
Gold Member

Universal Lathe Tool Rest min spindle length

Post by Matanuska »

With the recent conversations about the lathe universal tool rest I’ve been considering a purchase. For those who have one, can you advise the min spindle length it will handle?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Re: Universal Lathe Tool Rest min spindle length

Post by RobertTaylor »

FWIW I do not own the universal toolrest system but I do a lot of turning. I think it could be useful for turning bowls but not needed for spindles. I saw a video where a guy anchored his Shopsmith and mounted to tailstock to the wall and turned twelve foot long porch columns without the universal toolrest. Just my $.02
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I can't tell you without going out to the shop, mounting my Universal Lathe Tool Rest on my Mark and getting actual measurements. For a little math work the main part to the equation is the center disk measuring 10" in diameter. That's how far apart the Headstock will be from the Tailstock. Subtract from that 10" the length of the Tailstock Center coming out of the tailstock and the length the Drive Center point mounted to the Spindle reaches out past the Headstock with the Quill extended. X-A-B=distance between centers, X being 10" and A being the Tailstock Center. A can vary by which Tailstock center is being used and keep in mind the Live Center can have the extension added to it. I'm guessing A and B equal about 7" leaving a 3" gap but I could be off some depending on the length of A.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

RobertTaylor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am I saw a video where a guy anchored his Shopsmith and mounted to tailstock to the wall and turned twelve foot long porch columns without the universal toolrest. Just my $.02
Yikes!
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 pm I'm guessing A and B equal about 7" leaving a 3" gap but I could be off some depending on the length of A.
Thanks Russ. Would a lift assist increase this gap?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I would have to measure that too. Since the 10" diameter center disk of the Universal Lathe Tool Rest is wider than the carriage at least some of the upper mounting bracket of the Lift Assist would be under the 10" center Disk.

FYI the column turning video is impressive.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I got out to the shop yesterday afternoon and did some measuring. It was without the actual Universal Lathe Tool Rest since I have not found it yet since moving. Still too many unorganized boxes of "stuff" around the shop. Using the different Tailstock Centers I have about 2" to 4" of a space between the Tailstock centers and the Drive Center with the Quill extended. This includes measuring the Dead Center, Live Center and Live Center with the extra spacer. Something to know about my Mark 7 with the Lift Assist is the bracket mounted to the Way Tubes is about 1/2" away from the Bench End to allow space to reach the Double Tilt End Lock Knob. If yours is tight against the Bench End the space between centers will be that 1/2" less. Without a Lift Assist I believe you can get to zero space between the Drive and Live Center with an extension.
Russ

Mark V 520
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:53 pm Something to know about my Mark 7 with the Lift Assist is the bracket mounted to the Way Tubes is about 1/2" away from the Bench End to allow space to reach the Double Tilt End Lock Knob. If yours is tight against the Bench End the space between centers will be that 1/2" less. Without a Lift Assist I believe you can get to zero space between the Drive and Live Center with an extension.
Russ - thanks for this. I'll have to take a look to see how I mounted my Lift Assist.