Shopsmith Mark V11????

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Mark V11????

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I have an eyeball on a mark 7 in a classified add. I have never seen one in person (well shopsmiths are not people but you get the idea). Let me have the good bad and ugly.

Thanks
Mark
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:I have an eyeball on a mark 7 in a classified add. I have never seen one in person (well shopsmiths are not people but you get the idea). Let me have the good bad and ugly.

Thanks
Mark

Speed control design.....ugly.....prone to melting.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3239&highlight=mark+vii+speed+control+melt

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1365&highlight=mark+vii+speed+control+melt
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Hey Mark,

Give us an idea where you are. Your profile doesn't show.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:I have an eyeball on a mark 7 in a classified add. I have never seen one in person (well shopsmiths are not people but you get the idea). Let me have the good bad and ugly.

Thanks
Mark

I find this an interesting explanation right from Shopsmith. I think it looks like an awesome machine. If it is as heavy as it looks, it should be a fabulous lathe. I sure hope some one who has one chimes in.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/mark7.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Mike I live in Greer SC. That is halfway between Greenville and Spartanburg.
I updated my profile but could not figure out how to add a picture. Obviously I am missing something very obvious.:D :D
baddlad
Gold Member

Post by baddlad »

the fact that they can tilt either direction is cool, I can see some advantages to that.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

baddlad wrote:the fact that they can tilt either direction is cool, I can see some advantages to that.
You are all right, baddlad!!! Anyone who can see good in a tilting saw table has my vote. I do not understand all of the negativity that hangs around the tilting table.

Welcome to the forum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I would like to insert a clarification here about the Mark VII... It "IS" a real Shopsmith in every sense of the word. Shopsmith Inc. makes the statement that it was not built by Shopsmith Inc. and that is quite correct. Neither did they make the 10-ER or the Greenies or the Goldies. Shopsmith Inc. was if I recall correctly formed around 1978 (somebody correct me) by Bob Folkerth (sp?) after the original Shopsmith was shut down a few years. The 10-ER's, the Greenies, Goldies and Mark VII's "were" real Shopsmith's... Just not produced by the current Shopsmith Inc. They were not some farmed out unit as I understand Shopsmith history.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:I would like to insert a clarification here about the Mark VII... It "IS" a real Shopsmith in every sense of the word. Shopsmith Inc. makes the statement that it was not built by Shopsmith Inc. and that is quite correct. Neither did they make the 10-ER or the Greenies or the Goldies. Shopsmith Inc. was if I recall correctly formed around 1978 (somebody correct me) by Bob Folkerth (sp?) after the original Shopsmith was shut down a few years. The 10-ER's, the Greenies, Goldies and Mark VII's "were" real Shopsmith's... Just not produced by the current Shopsmith Inc. They were not some farmed out unit as I understand Shopsmith history.
The 'Company' names were Magna Engineering, Yuba ..., Magna American and maybe one other(10 e/r)?? Shopsmith Inc. came into being in 1972. Magna American discontinued production some time in 1967. REF:http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Mike I live in Greer SC. That is halfway between Greenville and Spartanburg.
I updated my profile but could not figure out how to add a picture. Obviously I am missing something very obvious.:D :D

Profile pic is done like this:

NOTE: You need to be able to make your picture no larger than a certain size. The max size is 800 pixels x 600 pixels. If you can't do this, email the picture to me and I'll do it and send it back to you.

1.On the left side of the user control panel, select "Edit profile picture".
2. Toward the right, you'll see a browse button. Click on that. Browse to the folder in your computer where the photo is and select it.
3. Then save changes.

If you need more detail, let me know and I'll help you.
Mike
Sunny San Diego