fixing a glue up error

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dlbristol
Platinum Member

fixing a glue up error

Post by dlbristol »

:eek: I made a rocking chair for my daughter and grand daughter. Some how I got the side assemblies on the wrong side!!?? IS there a reasonable way to "unglue" the assembly? It is usable as is and probably will be functional. Should I just laugh and learn or is it worh tryoing to disassemble!? to sone old, to late smart. mortise and tenon jointts in red oak.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I did some thing similar once with a table. I was able to saw through the joint and reassemble using pocket screws. In your case you might be able to use dowels to rejoin the parts.

Just a thought.

John

PS: What I forgot to mention was that the saw was a hand saw used to cut plugs flat with a worksurface so it has a flat side that cuts a very narrow path that does not change the size of the pieces too much. It mifgt take a bit of time sawing through oak but it may work.

John
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

glue up mistake

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Don't feel bad. Tim the Tool Man glued a table to his head.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Fixing a glue-up error

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi dlbristol,
I agree with John: I successfully repaired a broken rocking chair by drilling holes and glueing in dowelling where it had been broken. It worked real well. Good luck:) .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Error Fixed

Post by dlbristol »

Thanks guys, I got it fixed just like you said. I put the stain on today!