DC3300 Score!!!....Yep, I'm Bragging.....

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Beeg - No bare wires. The photo just looks like that. The wires are insulated and have a sleave over the them for abrasion resistance.

Charlese, Dusty - If it was home made the guy had an injection molding machine in his garage. It looks like a factory part. And now that I know that it doesn't have a part number, I'm going to be very careful with it. The switch itself is a 4 pole. The leg that would hold the switch has a plastic filler panel that sits in/on it.

FYI - The date code is missing from the label. There is no shadow so I can't tell you when it was made.

Is this the only one? Is it a pre-production model that got sold?
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

For some reason I have it in the back of my mind that I read somewhere that the switch was moved from the back of the unit to the current position on top of the leg in the distant past. I've looked but I can't find the source where I read that.

I say this because I bought my 3300 at the Shopsmith garage sale last Oct and when I got it home and hooked it up I remember thinking " Oh, it has the switch located on top of the leg in the new position."

I'm positive I'm not imagining this, although old age is setting in. :eek:
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

etc92guy wrote:Beeg - No bare wires. The photo just looks like that. The wires are insulated and have a sleave over the them for abrasion resistance.

Charlese, Dusty - If it was home made the guy had an injection molding machine in his garage. It looks like a factory part. And now that I know that it doesn't have a part number, I'm going to be very careful with it. The switch itself is a 4 pole. The leg that would hold the switch has a plastic filler panel that sits in/on it.

FYI - The date code is missing from the label. There is no shadow so I can't tell you when it was made.

Is this the only one? Is it a pre-production model that got sold?
JUST FOUND OUT TONIGHT!!!!!
Your Dust Collector is actually an older model of the newer DC3300 with the switch on the back!

If this info is true,your DC should have metal internal parts, while the newer 3300 has plastic parts.

Found this at the tool Hunter Site. http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/ (scroll about a third of the way down to the Dust Collector area.)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Great find, Charlese - I actually had that site previously bookmarked, but never thought to look at it. Too much information, too little time. Looking at the picture, it looks like the center section is the heavy duty plastic like what the impeller is made out of. My center section is metal. From what is said, I'll have to remember not to stick pieces of 2x4 up the hose.:)

This acquisition is starting to pose another problem for me. I was planning on building a Wood Magazine cyclone collector. Now, I don't know if it's needed or not. I guess I'll have to experiment with the DC3300 and see. From what has been said here, it's one of the best small shop collectors on the market. When I upgrade to the 42" inch hood that could also be efficient enough to eliminate a separate whole shop filter, which is being mandated by SWMBO.:p Does anyone here disconnect the hoses at the end of a work session and use it to clear the air in the shop, like is suggested in the manual? If so, are the results adequate for the SWMBO?

Hmmmmm......decisions........decisions.......decisions.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

etc92guy wrote:Great find, Charlese - I actually had that site previously bookmarked, but never thought to look at it. Too much information, too little time. Looking at the picture, it looks like the center section is the heavy duty plastic like what the impeller is made out of. My center section is metal. From what is said, I'll have to remember not to stick pieces of 2x4 up the hose.:)

This acquisition is starting to pose another problem for me. I was planning on building a Wood Magazine cyclone collector. Now, I don't know if it's needed or not. I guess I'll have to experiment with the DC3300 and see. From what has been said here, it's one of the best small shop collectors on the market. When I upgrade to the 42" inch hood that could also be efficient enough to eliminate a separate whole shop filter, which is being mandated by SWMBO.:p Does anyone here disconnect the hoses at the end of a work session and use it to clear the air in the shop, like is suggested in the manual? If so, are the results adequate for the SWMBO?

Hmmmmm......decisions........decisions.......decisions.
I work in a garage shop so at the end of the work session, I turn on the fans and clear the air that way but when I turn on the dust collector I can still see dust particles lingering in the air, highlighted by the rays of sun that come through the small windows.

I can see those dust particles begin moving when I turn on the dust collector. I thing this shows very vividly that the dust collector dust work.

As far as whether SWMBO will be impressed - only you can say but I'll bet it will help. Try it for yourself though first before you show her the dust hanging in the sun rays.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I work in a garage shop so at the end of the work session, I turn on the fans and clear the air that way but when I turn on the dust collector I can still see dust particles lingering in the air, highlighted by the rays of sun that come through the small windows.

I can see those dust particles begin moving when I turn on the dust collector. I thing this shows very vividly that the dust collector dust work.

As far as whether SWMBO will be impressed - only you can say but I'll bet it will help. Try it for yourself though first before you show her the dust hanging in the sun rays.
Better yet NEVER let her into the shop when sunlight is present!:eek:

DUSTY: I thought you worked OUTDOORS(garage door open).:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

When I finish working in the shop I open a dust collector port and allow the DC3300 to collect airborne particles. By the time I have the shop cleaned up, usually 15 minutes the air is clear of dust particles. Dusty is right on you can see them moving. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
rayjack
Gold Member

DC3300 Score!!!

Post by rayjack »

As I reported in another thread, I had the same trouble with the main motor on my SS510 - when I switched on the motor just hummed and would not turn. I took it to a local repair shop and he blew it out with his air hose and it worked perfectly. I had tried that with a compressed air can (photo) but obviously that was not powerful enough.
Ray:)
discordanian
Gold Member

Post by discordanian »

charlese wrote:JUST FOUND OUT TONIGHT!!!!!
Your Dust Collector is actually an older model of the newer DC3300 with the switch on the back!

If this info is true,your DC should have metal internal parts, while the newer 3300 has plastic parts.

Found this at the tool Hunter Site. http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/ (scroll about a third of the way down to the Dust Collector area.)
Excellent. I just got this exact same dust collector and my switch is on the back. I'm guessing that my unit is from around ~ '94 because that's the date on my SS and I bought it from the original owner.