Shreaded Bandsaw Tires

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

guitarnut
Gold Member

Shreaded Bandsaw Tires

Post by guitarnut »

I was making a test cut on my new resaw table and fence and just as I was finishing the first pass, I heard a thud and then one of my tires popped out of the guide opening. I pulled the cover to take a look only to find the second tire loose inside. They're both terminal :(

http://www.crenshawweb.com/resaw07.jpg

I had installed a new 1/2" blade yesterday and now I'm wondering if I had too much tension on it. I probably should have gone with the glue on rubber tires when I replaced them a week ago.

Has anyone seen this before? Common cause? Any help would be much appreciated.

Peace,
Mark
SW Indiana
Mark V 500, SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, Ridgid 13" planer, Ridgid Belt/Drum Sander, Delta 50-720 dust collector.
"Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" - Marianne Williamson
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

guitarnut wrote:I was making a test cut on my new resaw table and fence and just as I was finishing the first pass, I heard a thud and then one of my tires popped out of the guide opening. I pulled the cover to take a look only to find the second tire loose inside. They're both terminal :(

I had installed a new 1/2" blade yesterday and now I'm wondering if I had too much tension on it. I probably should have gone with the glue on rubber tires when I replaced them a week ago.

Peace,
The SS BS Gods are angry with you in that you made a BS table out of:eek: OSB and 2 x 4s!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
guitarnut
Gold Member

Post by guitarnut »

JPG40504 wrote:The SS BS Gods are angry with you in that you made a BS table out of:eek: OSB and 2 x 4s!:D

Haha, could be. The OSB table was really just proof of concept. I wonder if they would care to know that just today I ordered a 24"x14"x3/8" piece of aluminum plate and a 24"x7"x1.5" piece of aluminum channel :(

Peace,
Mark
SW Indiana
Mark V 500, SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, Ridgid 13" planer, Ridgid Belt/Drum Sander, Delta 50-720 dust collector.
"Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" - Marianne Williamson
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

guitarnut wrote:Haha, could be. The OSB table was really just proof of concept. I wonder if they would care to know that just today I ordered a 24"x14"x3/8" piece of aluminum plate and a 24"x7"x1.5" piece of aluminum channel :(

Peace,

MIGHT appease them!:D Let us know how the T-NUTS work with the aluminum plate!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
guitarnut
Gold Member

Post by guitarnut »

JPG40504 wrote:MIGHT appease them!:D Let us know how the T-NUTS work with the aluminum plate!:D

Uhhh, actually I was thinking of using countersinks and flat heads. :rolleyes:

Peace,
Mark
SW Indiana
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

guitarnut wrote:Uhhh, actually I was thinking of using countersinks and flat heads. :rolleyes:

Peace,
That probably wudda worked with osb(for a while)! I was thinking more about tapping the plate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Not a shopsmith bandsaw owner but I do recall that shopsmith was shipping the wrong size urethane tires for a while. See:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... t=urethane

Also note the new lower top speed even with the correct fitting tires.

I don't know if this is your problem but worth thinking about.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
billmayo
Platinum Member

Shreaded Bandsaw Tires

Post by billmayo »

guitarnut wrote:I was making a test cut on my new resaw table and fence and just as I was finishing the first pass, I heard a thud and then one of my tires popped out of the guide opening. I pulled the cover to take a look only to find the second tire loose inside. They're both terminal :(

Peace,
I have had to replace a few sets of damaged Urethane tires with the original black tires. I do not believe the adhesive/glue will stick or hold the Urethane tires but never tried it. I believe if the bandsaw blade gets very hot while resawing or from constant use, the heat will cause the Urethane tires to expand, become loose and come off the wheels. I find that the narrower bandsaw blades can sink into the Urethane tires from the heat. Less blade tension and slower speeds should help too.

I believe that the original black tires and roller bushings still work better than the latest updates for the bandsaw. I find that using a good grade of wheel bearing grease occasional works well for the roller bushings and upper wheel needle bearings.

Contact Shopsmith as they have made good on some of the Urethane tires in the past. I would recommend only operating a bandsaw with Urethane tires at the slowest speed and take breaks when resawing.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
guitarnut
Gold Member

Post by guitarnut »

reible wrote:Hi,

Not a shopsmith bandsaw owner but I do recall that shopsmith was shipping the wrong size urethane tires for a while. See:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=52&page=2&highlight=urethane

Also note the new lower top speed even with the correct fitting tires.

I don't know if this is your problem but worth thinking about.

Ed

Hello Ed.

Thanks for the reply. The supplier, Sulphur Grove Tools, recommends running at no higher than the "D" setting. Is this the lower setting you refer to?

Peace,
Mark
SW Indiana
guitarnut
Gold Member

Post by guitarnut »

billmayo wrote:I have had to replace a few sets of damaged Urethane tires with the original black tires. I do not believe the adhesive/glue will stick or hold the Urethane tires but never tried it. I believe if the bandsaw blade gets very hot while resawing or from constant use, the heat will cause the Urethane tires to expand, become loose and come off the wheels. I find that the narrower bandsaw blades can sink into the Urethane tires from the heat. Less blade tension and slower speeds should help too.

Thanks Bill,

The guy at Sulphur Grove Tool (great customer service) is sending out a replacement set. I'm going to give them another shot. He says they have sold 1000s of these with few problems. But I think I'll have a set of glue-on tires handy just in case.

I don't think mine was a heating problem as I only made one cut in a piece of pine and I don't remember the blade even being warm as I fished out the second tire from inside the bandsaw.

Peace,
Mark
SW Indiana