Hints on end grain

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curly57
Gold Member

Hints on end grain

Post by curly57 »

Hi guys!! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get the ruff spots out on the end grain when you're sanding on a bowl, or any wood actually? I've been working a bowl made with Canary wood, It's a Beautiful bowl, just got a few stuborn spots I can't get out. I started with med. grit 100 have worked up to 600 so far, still a couple spots like I say. Any help would sure be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!:D

Curly...

54' MKV 500 upgraded to a 510, 520 Pro fence, Bandsaw, planer, jointer..etc..
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Sometimes you can put danish oil on it before sanding and it will help. You can also try sanding just the bad spots with the lathe stopped. I also use a 2 inch velcro backed disks with a holder in a power drill, they are available from CraftSupply or most woodworking specialty stores.

Jim in Tucson
curly57
Gold Member

Post by curly57 »

Thanks Jim!! I'll give it a try!!

Curly...
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

End Grain Sanding

Post by a1gutterman »

You might try wetting the wood and then sanding, but how about trying steel wool? It works pretty well and comes in differant grits just like sandpaper.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
curly57
Gold Member

Post by curly57 »

Hey Tim!! I haven't tried wetting it, I will. I have tried the steel wool 000 and 0000 , worked a little, did put a pretty good shine on it also. I've allmost got'em out just a couple of small spots. Thanks for the help!!

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!

Curly...

Curly...

Post by charlese »

Sorry about my ignorance on this problem - just have no idea what the end grain looks like on this wood. If it is somewhat porus? - is a filler out of the question? Maybe even a colored filler. Then again maybe your best bet is more steel wool and patience.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
curly57
Gold Member

End Grain

Post by curly57 »

Hi Chuck, and no I don't think filler would work. I've experimented with a few sugestions, and I've found by alternating grits of sandpaper it seems to work pretty good. I just have to be patient and keep working on it. I'm waitng for the second coat a varithane to dry now, once I get the next coat on I'll take a few pics and post them.

Curly...
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

curly57 wrote:Hi Chuck, and no I don't think filler would work. I've experimented with a few sugestions, and I've found by alternating grits of sandpaper it seems to work pretty good. I just have to be patient and keep working on it. I'm waitng for the second coat a varithane to dry now, once I get the next coat on I'll take a few pics and post them.

I would try three things.
A coat or two of shellac then sand it smooth. The shellac if you use blonde or clear won't carry a color and will lock the end grain together to act more like edge grain.

Tung or mineral oil and using a wet dry sand paper. The sanding dust will mix with the oil and be forced into the edge grain. I use this a lot on oak with the hugh open end grain.

CA glue. Instant glue then sand. The glue will bond the fibers and when you then sand it will be like edge grain.

Ed
curly57
Gold Member

End grain

Post by curly57 »

Thanks Ed!! I'll remember those tricks, all sound like they will work.

Curly...