What's a shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

What's a shopsmith

Post by scottss »

I can't believe how many people and even woodworkers I have talked to lately that don't know what a shopsmith is. Just in the past few days I mentioned to a few woodworker friends in the area that I have a shopsmith and they had no clue what that was. When I told them that its a saw, lathe, horizontal boring machine, sander, and drill press they said what. Then I show them my bandsaw, planer and jointer that hook up to it and they scratch there heads. I think some add needs to be out there. If it was on one of the pbs, diy or hgtv channels the sales may improve.
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

... and if it were advertised to a wider audience, be sure to update the ad. Don't show a bunch of old guys (no offense intended) doing little projects. The ad needs to be upbeat and modernized. My wife has a shopsmith (mostly lathe use) as well as mine. So don't count out women woodworkers - many times if you get the wife to buy in, then the guy will be able to make the purchase (get permission from "the boss"). It seems like SS doesn't have much marketing - perhaps its budget restrictions, but to grow they really need to expand marketing beyond county fairs and home shows. Just my $0.02 worth.