Conical Disk Sander - A new use?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Conical Disk Sander - A new use?

Post by charlese »

Today, I had to smooth the top and bottoms of two 6 light doors. After thinking about the saw and the jointer, I elected to try the conical disk sander. It worked wonderfully well. Since the doors are 12.5" wide by 29" high - I used the miter gage with extension to steady the doors. After finishing, I realized I could have used my sled. Has anyone else used the conical disk for a similar purpose? Or does anyone have a another method of using the conical disk?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I used mine to square up the face of my router table fence with the base. It was glued up using a butt joint and corner blocks for stability, but I didn't get it quite square. The conical disk sander did a good job of squaring it up.
dave741us
Bronze Member

Conical Disk Sanding

Post by dave741us »

Used mine yesterday with mixed results, it did a fine job, however It eventually broke all three disks that I had in stock. Table checked and was at 4 degrees, only thought that comes to mind is disks have been in hot florida garage awhile, and adhesive failed. Anyone have similar problems?
dusty
Platinum Member

Conical Disks (Pads)

Post by dusty »

Yes, I believe I have had the same experience as you describe.

"It eventually broke all three disks that I had in stock." If this means that the disks were destroyed while sanding, I too had that experience but I attributed it to the disks NOT remaining adhered to the conical disk. I had concluded that the conical disk had not been clean when I attached the sanding disks. I suspected "shop dust" or oily hands/fingers.

Before ever sanding with the conical disk, I was concerned with the gap that exists between the two edges of the sand paper (about a strong 1/8" or more). That exposed edge just begs for something to snag onto.

I also feel that I contributed to the failure of these disks by being too aggressive in my sanding. One might even say I was sizing lumber rather than sanding it. The conical disk sander is not intended to be a replacement for the jointer.

What I am saying about "my own experience" is that the disks might not have failed if I had been using them correctly.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Conical Disk Sander Problem

Post by billmayo »

Yes, quite a few people had this problem. Shopsmith is now aware of this problem but was upset with us for not calling and telling them we had a problem. Please, Please call the 800 number and tell Shopsmith that you had problems with the conical sanding disk. You may get a free set of replacement sanding disks and you can tell them you will let them know how the new ones worked. I believe they had an adhesive problem but do make them aware of it again. The disk beening cleaned correctly is not the problem as I tried many different methods that failed.

Bill Mayo
dave741us wrote:Used mine yesterday with mixed results, it did a fine job, however It eventually broke all three disks that I had in stock. Table checked and was at 4 degrees, only thought that comes to mind is disks have been in hot florida garage awhile, and adhesive failed. Anyone have similar problems?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dave741us wrote:... It eventually broke all three disks that I had in stock....Anyone have similar problems?
Oh Yeah! Got three disks, ripped one in half trying to remove it from the metal, ripped the inside 3" of a second. Then got mad and thought how can I do this better? Cleaned up the metal with Spirits. The Mineral kind - not the good kind! Thoroughly warmed up the disk by putting in front of my reflective space heater, re-attached the disk with the ripped center, carefully aligning it so as to close the rip. Have been using that disk for several months now. It's been performing admirably!! (trying to use the outside and avoiding the center) Have to be careful not to catch a piece of wood on the outside edge. This, I think, would be asking for a blowout!

After reading the instructions coming with the disk sander, I used to remove the disks every time I finished an operation. The instructions said, (if I remember correctly) leaving the sanding disks on the metal for a long time will cause them to stick very tightly. Well, they couldn't stick any tighter! Removing after each use didn't work for me, so why do it? Now I just leave it on until I have to change. Plan to again thoroughly warm up the thing before removing the sanding disk. Hope this helps! If it does - I'll feel better about buying new disks. The one I have on now is medium grit. Have bought three more replacement dis cs and will have to change next time to sharpen jointer blades.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I've posted my problem before but I'll add it here again...

I've had my conical disk for sometime now, I forgot what year they were introduced into the shopsmith world but it would have been shortly after that. This system was not new to me as I had another makers version of this when I still had my rockwell saw which I had before my shopsmith.

What I had been doing was putting the paper on and leaving it on until it was worn out. I normal use the 80-grit but I got the assorted pack and wanted to try the 150-grit to see how well it would work for me. I took the 80-grit disc off and used the 150-grit for a short while then pulled it off and put it back on its release paper. I remounted the 80-grit off its release paper.

About a week or so later I went back to the 80-grit and within about 3 or 4 minutes of sanding.... say maybe within the 16' to 24' of 2" x 6" x 4' cedar I was edging the paper caught and managed to scratch up the edge of my then new 520 table before I could shut it down. The edge that caught folded under and it was to the outside of the disk.... I had never seen that happen before and can not figure out how that happened but the effect was very interesting. And not so pretty.

As a result of this I'm back to my old ways of just using 80-grit and using it until it is worn out. I've never seen the problem with new disks... well not yet anyway.

Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

The more I think about the sanding disks the more I know I want one for each grit, changing paper does not seem practical. They are on an extra sale it might just be time to get two more.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I don't have the conical sanding disk but after having similar problems to those discussed on my regular disk, I switched to the velco system with no further problems. Is this not available for the conical disk? If it is it is worth a try.

Now having said that, I tend to be lazy and leave whatever grade of paper is on as long as I can.

John
dave741us
Bronze Member

Conical Disk Problems

Post by dave741us »

OK, called the 800 number and explained what had happened, Jenny advised that the gap, approx1/8inch was the correct alignment on the metal disk. The circle in the middle of the metal disk was a guide for the sanding disk itself. Quite probably I was asking the conical disk sander to do to much, as I realize I failed to mention in previous post that I was attempting to put a straight edge on a rough sawn 1x12 white oak board, before ripping to usable width. It won't take the place of a jointer, but apparently will greatly enhance the edge once joined. My bad.... Thanks Also no velcro disks are availabe for the conical disk sander.