Oldest Shopsmith V in operation?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mapdaddy
Bronze Member

Oldest Shopsmith V in operation?

Post by mapdaddy »

Well okay, maybe not the oldest but I recently came across October 1954 and it's in great condition.
Attachments
05-31-09_1300.jpg
05-31-09_1300.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mapdaddy wrote:Well okay, maybe not the oldest but I recently came across October 1954 and it's in great condition.

Beautiful machine mapdaddy! So give us more details....serial number, how you came across it, etc. Also, fill in your profile so we know where you are. You could have a couple other owners real close.

Glad to see you joined the group. You'll enjoy it here. Lots of great guys.

Make sure to enter your Greenie in this poll. Read the first post first.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3518lad

Glad to have ya.

p.s. There's also a poll to show where our members are located. That one's at: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3141
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mapdaddy
Bronze Member

Post by mapdaddy »

Well the short of it is that I'm the caretaker for this machine. I recently cleared off of the 50ish years of clutter around and on the old greenie.

Funny thing is that it's in pretty much new condition. A tad of surface rust on the two lower cross members and a good bit of lubrication to get the motor spinning freely. The owners family tells me it wasn't used much except for one project building shelves.

I haven't matched all of the parts with the original parts list yet and a few bits like the owners manual are MIA (I'm still cleaning so maybe it'll turn up). I found the Jacobs Drill chuck in it's original box wrapped in the original wax paper and probably never used. There's also a sales brochure printed in '54 offering the Shopsmith 5 for $295 and the original marketing "why to buy" brochure.

Now I'm old enough to remember back in the 60's when the Shopsmith had and watching the old black & white infomercials on TV when I wasn't watching cartoons (also in B&W). I find it amazing to discover a machine like this and fully intend to take advantage of it's capabilities for a few projects.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=======================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

1954 500 SR#269352.....A couple of upgrades over the years and it still works like a new one.
LDH
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mapdaddy - I'm with judaspre1982 regarding wanting to see more pics!! This is definitely the best condition original Greenie we've seen in this forum. Blast a couple of "digital" rolls of every angle, up, down, and sideways and post them for all of us to see. We'll savor every one.

p.s. Don't forget to check in at the "where's you at" poll :http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3141

p.p.s. There is going to be an upcoming West Coast ShopSmith owners event around September'ish' and we'd love to have ya.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mr.d
Gold Member

April 1955 Greenie

Post by mr.d »

Serial #295774

Bought this unit at an estate sale a couple weeks ago because I had been looking at getting a table saw for some remodeling projects. After getting over the wife saying "You bought a what?" I couldn't be happier.

A little surface rust on the lower tubes and a little bit of touch up green paint would be the only things keeping this unit from being called mint.

I've cut a couple 2 x4's to see if it works and no problems at all. Took off the end and bottom covers today attempting to clean the insides but there wasn't anything inside!!!!! Wanted to lubricate like the video from the SS site says to but I couldn't gain the access to everything like they showed.....or else I need to watch it a few more times to figure out what does and doesn't come apart. Need to get the drive coupler for the back end to run the scroll saw and the headstock side center for the lathe.

After I touch it up a bit and get the other parts, I'll post some pictures.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You may not have the access hole underneath the shopsmith logo plate. It is easier to oil with the end and bottom(motor) removed. Raise it into drill press mode(secure it by tightening the lock screw bolt) and all the inside is visible/accessible. You may or may not have the oil hole in the control sheave. The oil hole on the motor shaft is NOT easy to see.

Some pix of these areas would help us help you.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mr.d
Gold Member

Post by mr.d »

Finally got the opportunity to see a few pics.
Attachments
SS 1.jpg
SS 1.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
SS 2.jpg
SS 2.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
SS 3.jpg
SS 3.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
SS 4.jpg
SS 4.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
SS 5.jpg
SS 5.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 5361 times