Outfeed table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ssj1
Bronze Member

outfeed table design

Post by ssj1 »

do you have any drawings and parts list for the outfeed table that you could share?
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Nick,

What a great adaptation of the outfeed table. I have one and would love specs and parts to adapt mine like you show. fjimp:D
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

WOW, I would love to adapt my Shopsmith out-feed table like that, if you can't give out the plans I would be happy to buy the upgrade from Shopsmith.
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

I knew that if I waited long enough Shopsmith would solve this dilema for me. Now all I have to do is wait until I can purchase one. I have started this project (an outfeed table) about three times but never get the results I want. This one looks like it will really work, but don't get too excited. You read Nick. He said they have been working in the Academy Lab NOT in production.

I have faith.
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

It's going to take a little more than faith, Dusty. Drew and I submitted this idea to Shopsmith's New Product Committee and they rejected it, saying that this product wasn't selling well enough to go through the expense of making the improvement. I can understand their thinking -- money's pretty tight until Shopsmith's cash flow improves. So after the rejection, Drew and I took out a provisional patent on the design because after months of testing it, we believe that it works well enough for it to have some commercial value. We're hoping for a second hearing sometime in the future. (It would help if you folks ping Bob Folkerth and say that you like the design -- your opinion carries a great deal of weight with him.)

I published the pictures here and now because I know that most of you are resourceful enough to figure it out and it's not in my nature as a teacher to keep good ideas from people who can use them. However, for those of you who are willing to wait: If we cannot find a way to make this design available to Shopsmith owners either as a product or an upgrade, Drew and I will publish the complete plans and instructions to this forum when the provisional patent expires, in about a year.

With all good wishes,
greitz
Gold Member

"pinging"

Post by greitz »

Nick- How do you "ping" Bob Folkerth? Is his email address listed somewhere on this forum site?

By the way, it's a great design! The only reason I haven't bought one (or two) is because I figured if I had to go around behind the SS every time I changed table heights or angles anyway, I might as well use the roller stands I already have.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Gary
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Nick;

I want one. Or the upgrade kit, as I've already got the table. Tell Bob he needs to check out this thread in the forum. It'll sell!! I'll buy!!!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

That is one sweet outfeed table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't buy the original for the same reason someone else mentioned. I figured if I had to run around and adjust the table for each height adjustment I would just use the roller stand I already had.

However this table adjusts with the main table and I would buy it in a New York minute (whatever that is).

I think the rejection of the idea shows the some short sightedness on the part of ShopSmith they evidently haven't been listening to users complain about the table when it comes to sawing. From what I have read this is one of the biggest reasons stated for rejecting a Shopsmith, not enough table room (out feed) when sawing.

I know this is my biggest frustration with my Shopsmith!!!!
I would give anything not to have to keep adjusting aux tables and roller stands everytime I change cut depth.

Shopsmith needs to listen better. Shopsmith needs to produce this outfeed table and provide an upgrade kit for those that already have the existing outfeed table.

I think there is one other thing Shopsmith should consider a DC motor conversion. I'm certain if I could replace my motor with a DC motor that should be more powerful and connect it directly to output shaft and get rid of all the internal mechanics I would rush to do that.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

Nick recommended that if we like the outfeed table we should let Shopsmith know that. I thought we had been doing that but evidently not. Maybe none of the engineering staff and/or the marketing group read the forum. But they don't answer email either.

I have tried private email to Bob Folkerth and he hasn't answered. I read this as a lack of interest. In my humble opinion, almost all of them are missing the boat. I was a production test engineer for many years and I understand that many business decisions are made in a vacuum. This one certainly seems to have been.

I would really like to hear from my "Lifetime Woodworking Partner", either one of them. Either Mr John Folkerth or Mr Robert Folkerth could do this if they wanted to.

But, you know what. I can make that outfeed table myself. Actually, all I have to make is a support bracket with a brace that swivels on both ends; I already have a suitable table. Shopsmith also provided me with an adjustable leg that might even be adaptable. Two joints, that's all I need.

Details at eleven.
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have a bit of a worry about this type design, one with the table out and the support coming from the base of the shopsmith. If one were to bolt down the shopsmith then this wouldn't be a problem but other wise I picture this being easy to tip and your shopsmith falling would not be a good thing.

A few years back a guy was selling plans that look very much like this, of course he did not show the details or everyone would have just made it rather then spend the (if I recall correctly) $15. I have not seen the offer in the last year or year and half and I'm guessing that it was removed from the "shopsmith" area as have the tables with using the old 500 tables. I may have saved the images somewhere but I didn't find them in doing a look around tonight... might be on one of my other computers or maybe I didn't save them. (The one that was for sale used a home made table and wood for the angle support.)

Since I don't have one to play with maybe someone who does could "load" the support table with say 75 pounds at the far end and let us know if the machine stayed upright.... and how much extra pressure would tip it.... maybe even with/without all the extra tables attached???

For those thinking of doing this I might look at the extension table brackets (555997) and maybe the telescoping leg would be long enough to reach the table tube??? If so you need to do very little to make this setup work...... and it would reduce the weight....

Ed