Outfeed table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DC Ross
Gold Member

Post by DC Ross »

Thanks for all the replys, guys. The blocks that the brackets attached to were too thick, probably for a 500 like paulmcohen said. I took about 1/8" off, and now it sits flush with the main table.

I really have to thank Nick for the pics of the modified outfeed table. I was pretty inspired by it, and took it upon myself to create something similar. It works pretty well, seeing as how it was just cobbled together from things I had laying around.

Nick: If you have the chance, I'd really like to see a couple closeups of how you attached the telescoping leg to the outfeed table. For me, attaching it while still being able to twist it (to lock & unlock it) was the tricky part.

Thanks again!

-dcr
DC Ross
Gold Member

Post by DC Ross »

Bump for Nick :)
hagarz71
Gold Member

Outfeed table

Post by hagarz71 »

Is that setup readily available through shopsmith? Is that setup an option versus the static one? Or is that something that he rigged for himself and not available?

Thanks
hagarz71
Gold Member

Outfeed table

Post by hagarz71 »

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the 5 other pages of replys that clearly state its not available, If it were it would definately be at the top of the list of accessories to purchase for my SS.

hagar
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For those of you still interested in the little branch we took with the extension tables and making them adjustment free so to speak. More information is still being given and the discussion contiunes on the other forum pages... in fact the bicycle part is now in public domain for those of you wanting to move forward on this project.

Check out:
http://www.ssug.org
and look for the posting on Aluminum pipe

(Sorry the site is down right now so I can not supply the direct link.)

edit: site is back so the link is:
http://www.ssug.org/forums//viewtopic.php?t=1573

To see the bicycle part you can just go to:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762403316436

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

On the Community thread there are a couple of us venting because Shopsmith has not developed a new outfeed table accessory for us to buy. Earlier, I would have been one of those venting (in fact I was). Then Nick posted a couple animated shots of a redesign concept for the outfeed table.

Now Nick has one and so do I. It really is quite simple (in concept). Take a good look at Nick's post; I mean study it. You too can have one of these. In fact, if you have the Shopsmith outfeed table (555784/555307/555306), all you need to do is attach the adjustable leg to the bottom end of the verticle support tube.

I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out what I have done to the memory card in my camera. When I attempt to download I get a card error.

In the meantime, if you have a burning need for an adjustable outfeed table (heightand tilt) you can build one. Nick gave us almost everything we need in those photos. Photos to follow.
dusty
Platinum Member

Adjustable Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

Several of us have been working on our own versions of an outfeed table that Nick posted on this thread. Nicks photos were animated; I haven't figured out how to do that yet. So here are some simple shots that show my initial thoughts on the "Adjustable Outfeed Table".

Sorry about the less than quality photo quality. I'm working on that.

[ATTACH]297[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]298[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]299[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]300[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Tilt Far Left.jpg
Tilt Far Left.jpg (82.06 KiB) Viewed 23578 times
Table Brackets.jpg
Table Brackets.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 23566 times
Tilt Far Right.jpg
Tilt Far Right.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 23566 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

charlese, I must not have done what you told me. I'm a slow learner (especially on these new fangled computers). Be patient, I'll reread my notes and try again.

Here are a couple of other shots of my "Outfeed Table", some before and some after modification.
Attachments
Original Outfeed Table.jpg
Original Outfeed Table.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 23486 times
Adjustable Outfeed Table.jpg
Adjustable Outfeed Table.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 23483 times
Tilt Far Right.jpg
Tilt Far Right.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 23475 times
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Dusty
Looking Good!!!!!

What did you use to attach the support bar to the the table columns?
I assume the table connection if from a standard shopsmith outfeed table.
I wonder if we can order the part?
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

No, Ed, you cannot order the part from SS. It is not standard. Reads Nick's contribution to this thread and you'll understand.

I used a piece of 1" steel pipe; it is actually an axle rod out of a forced air cooler. The axle of a large squirrel cage fan. Something we quit using 10 or 15 years ago when we got air conditioning. I parted it out and have been saving it for when I needed it. However, they sell them at Ace for about $15.

I used about a 6" inch piece and had it turned down about .03" so that it would go up inside the vertical column. I then drilled/tapped the column and the pipe for a set screw that holds the two together. Leaving 2" of pipe protrude out the bottom of the vertical column.

I made certain that the setscrew was flush with the surface so that the table could be removed from the SS without pulling the pipe from the vertical column.

The part that attached to the "turned pipe" and the adjustable leg for the table are standard SS. One of the two adjustable legs that came with a SS. Made up of 514529 and 514520.

I'll post some pictures.

Sidenote: The id of the vertical columns on the SS are NOT all the same. Since SS doesn't insert anything there, it is "apparently" not a spec'd parameter. You get what you get.

I have three pair of vertical columns. I carried two of them with me when I went to the shop to turn the pipe. We took enough off so that the pipes that we were turning would fit into the smallest of the four vertical columns I had brought for samples. I thought that was a safe approach.

You can guess. When I got home with the newly milled pipes (four of them), none would fit into the columns on my shop SS.

If you are going to attempt this or something similar, just be aware that this is a custom job. No two are likely the same.

All said and done, the pipe could be replaced by a piece of hardwood turned on the Shopsmith that it is going to fit into. That way it would truely be a custom part.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.