Outfeed table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

paulmcohen wrote:OK why did you use an floating table instead of the original Shopsmith Support Table (555784)which is much larger? If you want to use a floating table why not just use the Shopsmith existing extender as is?
I guess I should explain a little more here. First what you see pictured is one extension table... I could have used two but since this was a concept I showed only one. If you go to:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2310296337
you can see the set as it can be with two tables. You can also note the size difference of the support table vs the extension tables as I have both set-up.

The whole reason to use the setup this way is that the table height can be changed without having to go an adjust the outfeed table height... they track.

If you have a shopsmith table that will use tubes (510/520) then the extension table brackets are about $70 (less on sale) and well worth the price even if you don't do the modifications noted. This is a lot cheaper then the almost $190 you pay for the support table....(I own both and use them often) And for the purpose of this discussion I wanted to show the use of the brackets...... see Nick's post for the use of the support table.

I personally don't have much reason to do much more then what I have done on this project but if I were to find an old bicycle I might finish it... I think I'm one part away from a solution of the concept. But I know we have a lot of people here that now have enough information to do their own versions. I hope to see some of them posted here.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

Ed

I can see how your infeed tables are attached to the main table but I cannot see how the support table (outfeed side) is attached. I assume that it is rather rigid secured to the rail assemble.

Can you give me a brief explanation. Is it easy to unattach and reattach if need be.

You have a real nice setup; it looks to be very functional. The only downside comes when you need to change setup (tilt or change height). The frequency of that occurring is really an undefineable variable.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

A bit cold to do to much but I did want to see if I can answer your most pressing questions.

The support table that I most often use for my outfeed table (555784 for the 520) is the one I think you are asking about.

This is not a light fluffy piece of equipment, it must be in the 25 to 30 pound range. Based on my guess.... some one can weigh it if they want or if it really necessary I can take the bathroom scale out some day. Anyway it is heavy duty all by itself. What I do is take the bottom tri-pod off (I store the part with the tri-pod rotated 90 deg. anyway and this reduces the weight some. I then lower the shopsmiths table as low as I can get it (not when it is over the headstock). This leaves a couple of inches of lift needed to get it to the mounting level.... I can manage that with the use of my foot/toe and slip the connector tube in. The support table has brackets on each side with holes for the tube to go through. With this done I can crank the table to height and do all the other things that need to be done. I tip up the support table and insert the tri-pod and adjust. I have a trick for that but you have to attend my class and pay $350 for me to show it to you. OK I'd do it for $250... still to high, then how about $100???? Boy you are a hard group, what about $25 and I throw in a glass of cold water from your tap???? Oh alright I'll show you for free but I can't today.

Now the other hidden part of the support table is the part that allows the table to tilt. This is a bit hard to explain so take a look at the pictures:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2397956904

You can also see the arrangement of the support table brackets and connector tube.

I hope this will keep pondering for a while.... pondering why you haven't purchased one of these yet.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Outfeed Table

Post by dusty »

Ed, that's easy. It costs money that I don't have to spend; about $200 with shipping. Now, if you want to donate one of yours, I'll pay the shipping but somehow I don't think that is very likely.

Thanks for your reply. I felt certain that the rail assemply was somehow involved but I did not know there was a tube and the "L" brackets. Your photos made it all very clear. Thanks again.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

reible wrote:IIf you have a shopsmith table that will use tubes (510/520) then the extension table brackets are about $70 (less on sale) and well worth the price even if you don't do the modifications noted. This is a lot cheaper then the almost $190 you pay for the support table....(I own both and use them often) And for the purpose of this discussion I wanted to show the use of the brackets...... see Nick's post for the use of the support table.

Ed

I have a 520 with extension brackets I use on the front and a support table on the rear. I like your tracking feature, I now understand the only difference is the cost of the extension. In theory once one works so will the other.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

reible wrote:I guess I should explain a little more here. First what you see pictured is one extension table... I could have used two but since this was a concept I showed only one. If you go to:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762310296337
you can see the set as it can be with two tables. You can also note the size difference of the support table vs the extension tables as I have both set-up.

Ed

This is exactly what my 520 looks like with extensions on the front and support table on back execpt you removed the tripod and under the support legs. I am not sure how this helps since the support legs also require adjustment and you would have to adjust two instead of one tripod.

The post started (4 pages ago) with a way to not use legs but attach some table to the rear of the main table. In DSCF1386 you modified how the table attaches to the 510/520 but I don't see any advantage without the other magic.
dusty
Platinum Member

outfeed table

Post by dusty »

This thread has taken two or three rough detours and has never gotten back to answer the question. We do that alot on this forum.
DC Ross wrote:Hey again,

I set up my new (to me) outfeed table on my 510, and things aren't lining up as expected. When level, the outfeed table sits about 1/2" above the main table, when it should be even (or slightly below?). I believe it's set up correctly: the two cutouts face up, correct? Any other insights?

Thanks!
No Ross, I'm sorry . I don't have the equipment that you have so I have no experience with this situation but maybe (I hope) restating your question to the forum will bring the discussion back to your problem.

If you've solved it already, I hope you'll share your solution with us.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yeah! This has been a very captivating thread! Just reviewed the whole thing again. Couldn't help but notice the time of day on posts! Gracious! Don't you guys ever go to bed?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

charlese wrote:Yeah! This has been a very captivating thread! Just reviewed the whole thing again. Couldn't help but notice the time of day on posts! Gracious! Don't you guys ever go to bed?

I work very late with Europe or Russia.

How do you find out when a message was posted?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

How do you find out what time a post was made?

Post by a1gutterman »

Paul,
The time is shown at the top bar of each post. It is your own local time that is shown, assuming you made the correct entries at registration, so a person reading the post cannot know what time it was made unless he knows what time zone the originator is in. Then he can subtract or add... you know what to do.:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.