Replacement parts in Canada?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jesse_27
Silver Member

Replacement parts in Canada?

Post by jesse_27 »

Hello,

I recently picked up a "fixer upper" Mark V. I have a fair bit of work to do and it is missing most accessories. As I live in Canada I am having some troubles finding replacement parts. I spoke to Shopsmith and they said they can't deliver up here. Anyone know of a place in Calgary, Alberta I maybe able to find parts and accessories for this project.

Thanks,

Jesse
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Welcome to the Forum, Jesse. You might want to check HERE.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

curiousgeorge wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Jesse. You might want to check HERE.
When you do go there take a wheelbarrow to haul your $$$. I understand they be "high"!:(

And then there is "E-Bay" Also sometimes "Too High".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

My understanding is that no one gets discounts on parts from Shopsmith, even if you are a repair shop. So, you will probably pay more for new parts from the repair shop than you pay by ordering directly from Shopsmith. Shopsmith ships internationally so I'd order from them or look for used parts on eBay.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Jesse:

Hi, and welcome to a fellow Canadian.

I have dealt with All-In-One Tools for new accessories but not for replacement parts. As someone has already mentioned, be prepared to pay extra as he does not get any great discount from ShopSmith and then he has to factor in shipping (to Toronto) and exchange, and of course a mark-up. AIO is the only authorized ShopSmith outlet in Canada so we are somewhat stuck, not only for replacement parts, but for lack of access to sale items.

I'm surprised SS said they do not ship to Canada as when I ordered from them a couple of years to ship tp our rented cottage in the U.S., they said they could ship to Canada but the cost of shipping was very high.

Are there any places south of the border from Calgary that accept U.S. parcels and then either trans ship them or provide a pick-up service? If so that might be your best option.

Good luck with finding what you need. I know this forum is a great place for advice on almost anything to do with SS repairs, refurbishing, and techniques so hopefully you will get all the help you need.

John
jesse_27
Silver Member

Post by jesse_27 »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I am sure through out the process of getting this SS up and running I will be looking for more assistance. It is great to have so much knowledge available. If I have to pay a little extra for the parts so be it as I only paid $40 for the actual Mark V.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jesse_27 wrote:Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I am sure through out the process of getting this SS up and running I will be looking for more assistance. It is great to have so much knowledge available. If I have to pay a little extra for the parts so be it as I only paid $40 for the actual Mark V.
Your first replacement part may double your investment!:rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
mckenziedt
Gold Member

Post by mckenziedt »

I have ordered parts and upgrades directly from Dayton for years(after trying the Canadian distributor out with poor results). It must be done by telephone on your dime, as the website and the 800 number don't work from Canada. They always say there is a distributor in Canada, but have taken the order when I say I prefer Dayton as the items I want are not stocked by the distributor(and really they aren't). I pay by credit card which they verify while I'm on the phone. They only ship by USPS (no UPS or FedEx), so shipping can be somewhat high if a lot of weight is involved, and they hold the order until all items are ready(no free back-order shipments}, so I will delete items that are projected to be back-ordered over a month or so, so as not to delay the available items too much. The phone ladies are super and confer with the shipping dept to get the actual shipping charge while I'm on the line. Items were received about 2 weeks after they ship. There is no duty since Made in USA stuff is free trade exempt. There is the GST/PST sales taxes which the post office driver collects at the door. They also charge a flat fee of $5.00 for processing the Customs documents.
Having said all this, I have not done an order since SS's 2009 reorganization. I have had a wish list compiled for a few months now, and will be placing that order shortly. I had been holding off for a while until the SS situation seemed to have stabilized(I didn't want pay for an order and wind up being an unsecured creditor. although maybe I would have recourse through the credit card used).
IF they have changed their Canada shipping policy, the suggestion by a previous poster of using a near the border proxy address service is a good one. These are popping up more and more now, as since 9-11 many US businesses in the hinterland are adopting a no foreign dealings policy(Walmart being the exception lol!). Here in Winnipeg, we are only 75 miles from the border, so driving down to make a pickup is very feasible for bigger $ shipments. My nephew saved mega dollars doing this on a high end Sony 58" LCD TV internet purchase.
I am willing to correspond by private email with Canadians that wish to contact me re: sharing some importing tips to eliminate or reduce importing costs. Don
D.McKenzie
520,510,mini 500,10ER,10E,Band Saws,Jointers,Scroll Saw,Jig Saws,Belt Sanders,Strip Sander,Speed Reducer & Increaser,Pro-Planer,Mortiser,Grinding wheel,Sharpening guides,Lathe Duplicater,Biscuit Joiner,Tendon Jig,Ring Master,Oneway Chuck, Most Arbors,Bits,Blades,Chucks,Cutters,Fences,Safety Items,Sanding & Sawing Items,Shop Accessories,Spare Parts
lilycollins34
Bronze Member

Re: Replacement parts in Canada?

Post by lilycollins34 »

The problem you posed is also the question that I am interested in. As far as I know Shopsmith ships internationally so I'd like to order from them or find used parts on eBay. I would love to find the answer. venge io taming io