Feed Stop Issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have used a slim center punch, an awl or even a large needle to remove the soft plug and managed to reinstall it after finishing service work. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Geez! Are y'all REALLY worried about refilling the hex socket in the set screw. It is such a PITA to remove that I cannot appreciate WHY anyone would want to fill it back up.

It is filled to minimize the possibility of a person (who does not know the purpose of the screws) inadvertently loosening them. Once you dig them out you have become very aware of their purpose and do NOT need to be protected from yourself.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote:Geez! Are y'all REALLY worried about refilling the hex socket in the set screw. It is such a PITA to remove that I cannot appreciate WHY anyone would want to fill it back up.

It is filled to minimize the possibility of a person (who does not know the purpose of the screws) inadvertently loosening them. Once you dig them out you have become very aware of their purpose and do NOT need to be protected from yourself.

I must admit that it has never even crossed my mind to fill one back in.
I looked at it as about like putting the cap back on an empty pop bottle. :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:I must admit that it has never even crossed my mind to fill one back in.
I looked at it as about like putting the cap back on an empty pop bottle. :)
YEP! You would have to take it off again(the pop bottle top) to use it as a 'necessary' container!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

The plug does serve to keep other debri out of the hole, of course a piece of electical tape will do the same thing.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
tryinhard
Gold Member

All is not going well

Post by tryinhard »

:mad: Instead of a nylon plug like they used to fill the hole with, I have (or, should I say "had") a soft metal insert that had been pounded into the hole. I tried using a screw extractor, but the metal was too soft, and I just dug a channel. I have most of the plug chipped out, but there is a sleeve stuck in the hole's threads. I figure I now need to tap the hole to clear the threads.

1) What is the diameter and thread pitch for the hole so I can get the correct tap?

2) Does the setscrew at the bottom of the hole use the standard 5/32" wrench, or is it a different size?

Thanks again for your help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gutterman wrote:The plug does serve to keep other debri out of the hole, of course a piece of electical tape will do the same thing.
Debris one can blow out(if for some reason it was bothering some thing/one). The putty(or whatever) gets hard and is difficult(PITA) to remove.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tryinhard wrote::mad: Instead of a nylon plug like they used to fill the hole with, I have (or, should I say "had") a soft metal insert that had been pounded into the hole. I tried using a screw extractor, but the metal was too soft, and I just dug a channel. I have most of the plug chipped out, but there is a sleeve stuck in the hole's threads. I figure I now need to tap the hole to clear the threads.

1) What is the diameter and thread pitch for the hole so I can get the correct tap?

2) Does the setscrew at the bottom of the hole use the standard 5/32" wrench, or is it a different size?

Thanks again for your help.
Antbody know WHAT he is referring to? It sounds to me as if he is describing what is left of the setscrew after 'extraction' and 'chipping'. If so the original threads were 5/16-18(the same as most others) with a 5/32" hex(allen wrench socket).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

tryinhard wrote::mad: Instead of a nylon plug like they used to fill the hole with, I have (or, should I say "had") a soft metal insert that had been pounded into the hole. I tried using a screw extractor, but the metal was too soft, and I just dug a channel. I have most of the plug chipped out, but there is a sleeve stuck in the hole's threads. I figure I now need to tap the hole to clear the threads.
unless a previous owner did something really odd, you just need to use something like a dental pick to clean the old filler out of the threads.
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
tryinhard
Gold Member

Got the setscrew out, but . . .

Post by tryinhard »

With a little more work, I got the setscrew out. (I really wish they had used nylon instead of that soft metal stuff for the plug!!)

So, after removing the setscrew, no joy. The feed stop shaft could not be moved any closer to the housing no matter what I did.

Looking at the quill shaft assembly through the access (hand) hole and outside the headstock, everything looks just like the post from bucksaw. My clip ring appears to be the same distance away from the spring housing as in the pictures posted. The only difference is when I put the feed stop assembly on the shaft, verifying the washers are in the proper order and orientation, the dial/indicator stands out from the spring housing by an 1/8" gap, which does not exist in the posted photos.

At this point, I think I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks again, Mike