Micro adjustents on table tilt

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

manvelar
Gold Member

Micro adjustents on table tilt

Post by manvelar »

Has anyone come up with a way to make really really find adjustments to the table tilt on a Shopsmith? It is my ONLY complaint. Some of the puzzles I make require cuts with the table tilted and a very high degree of accuracy is required. The problem is that once I tilt the table if I find it to be a quarter of a degree off, there isn't an easy way to correct it. Each time you loosen the tilt lock, the table becomes totally loose so each adjustment I make is like starting over - I can't just tilt it a little more (or less). I eventually get the tilt I need through trial and error - which takes time and wastes materials. I'm open to suggestions from anyone who has experienced the same problem. What would be perfect is an attachment that would allow you to fine tune the tilt a few degrees one way or the other once it is set in the ballpark. Suggestions?
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

If it were me, I would make angle templates for the angles I used, all that would be needed would be to hold the template against the blade, then tilt the table till both surfaces were flush. Now measuring would be required!
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I agree with both posts.

Setting the angle of a cut on the SS is not the easiest.

Making a jig with the correct angle would certainly be the way to go, especially if you are making reptitive cuts with the same angle. The time spent creating the jig would be worth it.

John
greitz
Gold Member

adjustable stop collar usable?

Post by greitz »

If you have a roller stand or other outfeed support with a post that will fit the adjustable stop collar accessory, you could support the table edge on the stand and raise/lower the height of the stand until you get the table tilt angle you need.

Haven't tried it but it seems like it should work.

Gary
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I saw an ad recently for a digital angle meter that attaches to the blade or table magnetically. That sound like it would be just the ticket. When I find the ad I'll get you more details.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Micro Adjustments on table saw

Post by billmayo »

Dr Dave Light and myself use the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge at the onlineshopclass shop to set all table tilts to the saw blade and it is repeatable every time. A must have tool if you tilt any woodworking table or saw blade.

Bill Mayo

Dr Dave Light wrote:

He has a digital angle gauge
Web is http://www.wixey.com and owner is Barry
Tell him I sent you and also I told him to contact Bob directly
I thought there was a GREAT fit their stuff and Shopsmith
manvelar wrote:Has anyone come up with a way to make really really find adjustments to the table tilt on a Shopsmith? It is my ONLY complaint. Some of the puzzles I make require cuts with the table tilted and a very high degree of accuracy is required. The problem is that once I tilt the table if I find it to be a quarter of a degree off, there isn't an easy way to correct it. Each time you loosen the tilt lock, the table becomes totally loose so each adjustment I make is like starting over - I can't just tilt it a little more (or less). I eventually get the tilt I need through trial and error - which takes time and wastes materials. I'm open to suggestions from anyone who has experienced the same problem. What would be perfect is an attachment that would allow you to fine tune the tilt a few degrees one way or the other once it is set in the ballpark. Suggestions?
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I just bought a Wixey angle gage and it works very well.

Start by putting it on the blade with the side of the gage against the table then zero it.

Next put the miter gage in in the miter slot backward so the face of the protractor faces the front of the Shopsmith and lock it in the slot. Then put the center magnet of the Wixie gage over the miter bar with the back of the gage against the protractor (make sure the protractor is set to zero). Then watch the readout until the correct angle is set.

The miter bar gives something for the gages magnets to hold onto so you don't have to hold it against the table while trying to set the angle and keeps the back of the angle gage lined up.

It is important to have the gage setting parallel with the center axis of the Shopsmith, that's why you put the side or back of it against a perpendicular surface.

Twisting the back of the angle gage in relation to the spindle will change the reading without moving the table, try it just for fun.

Jim in Tucson
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

Thanks everyone for the tips and I'll look at the angle gages you suggest. If you are familiar with the sort of adjustments you can make with the incra line of fences and crosscutting miter bars, thats the type of thing I was hoping to discover for the SS. A normal table saw of good quality will let you tilt the blade thru a screw mechanism - so if you need a little more or less angle, simply turn the handle a quarter or even an eight of a turn. With SS there doesn't seem to be such an option - perhaps an idea for the SS product improvement engineers - I'd pay for a device to clamp under the table somehow that would give me fine control over table angle.
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I just looked at the wixley gage and WOW! That seems to be a great alternative. I'm going to get one and try it out. THANKS!
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I can see the value of this forum. I didn't know about the adjustable stop collar.

I can use this for fine depth of cut adjustments - which is also sometimes problematic and perhaps even (as suggested) to help with table tilt angle. It seems like a really valuable accessory for not a lot of money. I can see using the adjustable stop collar along with another carriage assembly from ebay to build a really fine control table tilt control mechanism. Thanks for the suggestion!