Extension tables

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

major_bob
Gold Member

Extension tables

Post by major_bob »

Am I able to use extension table from a 500, 505, or 510 with my 520?

Understand that the rails are not compatible with my fence but will it align and accept the same tubes?
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Extension tables:
500 --> does NOT match with anything but 500. Different size, no tubes to link together, etc.

505 --> I think (dangerous!) that it is compatible with 510

510 --> round tubes to tie extension tables together, bigger table (same size as 505 and 520). 510 will NOT work with 520 without changing the tubes and the tube clamps. A 510 can be converted to a 520 fairly easily.

520 --> square tubes and different tube clamps. Will not work with extension tables from 510 without modifying 510 tables. Same size tables as 510 (and 505?).
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Major,

As Bob said, the 500 table will not accept the tubes, but you might get it (the model 500 extension table) to align with the 520 main table anyway. I do knot know first hand, but it seems like you could. You do knot need to use the tubes to use the extension tables with the main tables, and that is why I believe that it is doable.

The 505/510 extension tables are one and the same, and you should also be able to align them with the 520 main table for the same reason as the 500 extension table.

You did knot ask about the floating tables, but you did ask about the tubes: I do knot believe that you can align the floating tables for the 510 table system with the 520 table system, nor can you align the 505/510 extension tables with the 520 main table if you use the tubes for that set-up. The tubes are the same for both table systems, but I believe that the location of them is different, due to the different rails. Any 520 owners care to step up?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

First a definition/clarification: An extension table is one that has mounting tubes attached to the bottom which are inserted into the pair of SPT mounting holes and clamped tight with the handle.

ALL the known(to me) extension tables(except 10e/r) will fit/work with any 500/505/510/520. However: the tubes used with the 510 and 520 will only work with a 510 or 520 extension table. The tubes are NOT 'necessary' but provide alignment when they are used.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Welcome to the forum Major Bob and thank you for your service to our country.

Just to add to what JPG said, my SS was a 510 and converted to the 520 and the tubes including the 5' extension tube fit both the main table and the auxiliary tables. Can not speak for the earlier versions. Army veteran from the Vietnam Era.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

So as I understand it: a 510 extension table (and I did mean the extension table not floating) could only be used with my 520 if I converted the rails?

Understand that I can mount ANY extension table on the SPT mount and manually align without the tubes, but wanted a way to tie together a solid table from end to end (without the significant investment of buying a new 520 extension table)

bob
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

major_bob wrote:So as I understand it: a 510 extension table (and I did mean the extension table not floating) could only be used with my 520 if I converted the rails?

That's correct. If you look at the list of service parts for the 520 extension table, you would need parts 242 through 249.
Total cost from SS about $75 plus shipping.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

To clarify why the 520 & 510 rails don't go together.
The main and aux table are the same height in the picture below.

[ATTACH]5451[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ss9.jpg
ss9.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gregf wrote:To clarify why the 520 & 510 rails don't go together.

[ATTACH]5451[/ATTACH]

RE: Your signature line; I am not convinced it is God who is creating the 'better' idiots!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

gregf wrote:To clarify why the 520 & 510 rails don't go together.

[ATTACH]5451[/ATTACH]

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have always thought that the tables on the 505/510/520 were the same (interchangeable) with the "major mounting differences" brought about by the rails used. Am I wrong?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.