Hi all, new SS owner as of today, help me figure this out

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lunchbox wrote:well after watching the sawdust sessions video, ( and being interrupted multiple times) it looks like cake to tear this unit down. i have to finish a project that i have going on at the moment ( recovering my show truck's interior panels in suede) and then i can dig into this headstock.

lets just say i find a good deal on certain parts i may need, am i correct that ANY mark V headstock parts should fit this housing?
There ARE slight variations. The most severe is the Gilmer belt/Poly-v belt. Others are not so obvious. The greenie belt cover has different location of bolt holes. The quill spline has at least 2 versions(need matching nylon coupler). There are other differences, but they are visual, not functional(color/shape).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lunchbox
Silver Member

Post by lunchbox »

ah, that is good news. i will start the hunt for the speed changer assembly and a few other handles that i am missing. i really like the look of the original SS handles. i bet i can get those puppies to shine when all is said and done. the ebay prices do not seem too bad either. i am leery of the speed changers i see on there though. i wouldn't mind buying that new.
tango
Gold Member

New SS owner as of today... not anymore

Post by tango »

Hey Lunchbox,

welcome to the world of overly knowledged and dangerously obsessed woodworkers!

You've come to the right place for answers on such things as "what the heck is this thing?" These guys know everything!

As for me, I don't know what you've got there, but I'd say that if it turns use it!

I'm sure you got a pretty good deal on it; so many people don't know the value of a good frankensmith... fools I tell ya :)

BTW ya may need to change the name of yer thread... you are no longer a new owner as of today... :D

Cheers
Tango
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lunchbox wrote:ah, that is good news. i will start the hunt for the speed changer assembly and a few other handles that i am missing. i really like the look of the original SS handles. i bet i can get those puppies to shine when all is said and done. the ebay prices do not seem too bad either. i am leery of the speed changers i see on there though. i wouldn't mind buying that new.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ht=greenie

See POST # 294 for 'shiney handles'.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

lunchbox wrote:hi everyone,
i just picked up a used SS from one of my customers.
Wow.

I think you'd better roll it into a quiet room, stand still and listen for any ticking...
lunchbox
Silver Member

Post by lunchbox »

JPG40504 wrote:http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ht=greenie

See POST # 294 for 'shiney handles'.:D
oh ...WOW... i don't think i can do that good on my best day. what a super job! that's inspiration right there!

i was thinking candy apple red powder coating :cool:
lunchbox
Silver Member

Post by lunchbox »

keakap wrote:Wow.

I think you'd better roll it into a quiet room, stand still and listen for any ticking...

lol, it does wimper, but no ticking. it kind of moans every now and then.
lunchbox
Silver Member

Post by lunchbox »

[quote="tango"]Hey Lunchbox,

welcome to the world of overly knowledged and dangerously obsessed woodworkers!

You've come to the right place for answers on such things as "what the heck is this thing?" These guys know everything!

As for me, I don't know what you've got there, but I'd say that if it turns use it!

I'm sure you got a pretty good deal on it]

total price out of pocket was 50.00. :D
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

lunchbox wrote:you guys are great! i love the replies and knowledge here..........................................

i'm 29 from manchester , ct.

i started taking pics of each component, but i have not posted them yet. ( didn't want to seem like mr. overkill )

hey lunchbox....I'm from Putnam but now a San Diegan.

Too many photos?????? There is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to posting photos. We all love 'em. Lay 'em on us man!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:hey lunchbox....I'm from Putnam but now a San Diegan.

Too many photos?????? There is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to posting photos. We all love 'em. Lay 'em on us man!!
Indeed! We may see something not anticipated if you post many pix. With this beast, that is quite likely to occur!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝