Hi all, new SS owner as of today, help me figure this out

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

hi, lunchbox,

welcome. you are right. this forum is devoted and very helpful.
you might consider putting a general location in your profile. there are some pointers for help that work much better in some parts of the country/world than others.

you already have Bil Mayo and jpg giving you assistance so there is nothing I can add to their knowledge of the headstock (yep, you got that right). I might note the "Loaner" label on the motor pan, though.

it does look like it had a machinist doing repairs during the time that no parts were available. that isn't necessarily a bad thing for your use of it.

once you get the headstock issues sorted out, I bet the turners here would appreciate a fresh thread on your modified tailstock. it looks like someone did a serious mod and grafted an extensible tail piece into the SS tailstock. if there are manufacturer hints for the transplant pieces, I know I for one would be interested in hearing about them.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Lunchbox you have a real mystery on your hands!:confused: :confused:

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG said:
So far a complete speed control and idler shaft are probably needed(if still mountable).
-
-
Why would he want to replace that speed control? It looks better than the original which has long been the units big weak spot. If the holes made too much speed change he could drill a hole between each hole to have about twice as many settings.
-
The Mark VII only makes a partial turn to change speed. I really believe that with an improved (steel) cam that the Mark VII speed control was far superior to the generic Mark V.
-
All I see wrong with this one is that it is overly complicated (too many parts) for what it does. With that many parts I'm surprised that they didn't add a spring loaded centering device so that would pretty much eliminate the possibility of damage from someone changing speeds with the motor off. I have always been disappointed that Shopsmith failed to address that problem which has several fairly simple possible solutions. An awful lot of SSs have been damaged by someone walking into a shop and twisting that dial. A simple link between a switch and a lock for the speed dial so that the dial could not be turned until the switch was turned on would be quite adequate. The same link would operate both the switch and the lock at the same time.
-
That tailstock modification obviously came from some other lathe, maybe even a metal lathe. I would suppose that the tailstock no longer has an eccentric adjustment in the body and has been just bushed to the dia. of the new mount. I'm not sure what that gained.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would guess it would depend upon just how well it worked.(speed control)

I got from his comments he really wanted a 'real' ss.

There is also the potential problem of future maintenance(where do you get parts for this animal?).

I think(never actually seen one) early greenies had some linkage between the switch and the speed control. Have not completely understood how effective it has or exactly what it did. I think it was moved by that mysterious gully in the back of the dial so the switch could not be turned off in high speed. Anybody who knows, speak up please!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

There is an easy way out of this one... Just replace the headstock and the tailstock... :D :D :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
lunchbox
Silver Member

Post by lunchbox »

you guys are great! i love the replies and knowledge here.

first a little background on me, i will add it to my profile later.

i'm 29 from manchester , ct. i am currently in the process of looking for our first house with my girlfriend. i have landed a great one here boys and girls, she likes woodworking! lol. the next year is going to be a busy one for us as we plan on getting engaged ( i'm dragging my feet on that one.lol) , getting the house , and getting a bun in the oven soon as well.

the good thing for me is that i have an extensive mechanical background and i am more versed in "hands on" repairs than most my age. i was a mechanic for 4-5 years before i left that job field to make more money. i am now a broadband tech for a nationwide cable provider. i am lucky enough to have 3 days off each week to fiddle around with projects such as "frankensmith" and my project truck that i am building

enough of me. i have a few more questions on frankensmith before i go remove the headstock.

how would you guys like to play "real shopsmith or not?" i started taking pics of each component, but i have not posted them yet. ( didn't want to seem like mr. overkill )

i too picked up on the front spring area of the motor not matching what i saw online. think it is asian or maybe just robbed from another american machine?

i ask that, because the speed control looks entirely machined by hand. the case looks untouched, and it appears that someone may have broken the original speed control and milled that piece to replace it. at close look. the quality is that of a one off part. i hope that is the case.

this stuff that i am finding out makes me wonder if this machine was part of a machine shop at one time as well.

are the grey headstock covers shopsmith parts at all? they seem to fit perfectly on there where the screws are attached, and only off slightly where the shafts pass through. hard to believe that a knock off machine could get away having a case so close to a shopsmith, that they could interchange like that.

i will spend a little while reviewing the "sawdust sessions" i found last night, and will watch the goldie rebuild to help me understand a little more.

thanks guys, i'll get more pics once i remove the headstock. :D
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

judaspre1982 wrote:I will start a new thread to answer this ? as best I can----Dave
YOU DONE REAL GOOD!!!! Thanks!

If my previous assumptions regarding casting modifications(none which preclude using original ss 'stuff') are correct, he is very close to a total ss headstock anyway. I think the headlock and maybe the motor/belt covers are all that is needed in addition the the speed control and idler shaft(and mtg hardware). I am assuming the quill etc IS ss and the current drive belt is 'compatible'.

I think the domed thingie on the end of the motor shaft is actually a ' nut'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lunchbox
Silver Member

Post by lunchbox »

well after watching the sawdust sessions video, ( and being interrupted multiple times) it looks like cake to tear this unit down. i have to finish a project that i have going on at the moment ( recovering my show truck's interior panels in suede) and then i can dig into this headstock.

lets just say i find a good deal on certain parts i may need, am i correct that ANY mark V headstock parts should fit this housing?