Help with new saw guard please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Help with new saw guard please

Post by easterngray »

Hi Folks - I am going to upgrade my 500 to the current saw guard. I bought a used upper and lower guard and was able to buy the template from Shopsmith that is required for altering the tie-bar. The only catch is - I have no instructions! Can anyone who has done this alteration offer some direction as to how I am supposed to utilize the template to cut the tie bar - It's not obviously self-apparent - at least not to me! Thanks in advance! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

You need to drill and tap two holes in the tie bar to receive the screws that hold the tie bar guard on. The template should show you the location of the holes. The screw size will determine drill and tap size.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

For cutting the tie-bar, if memory serves correct you will be cutting near the outfeed-side 'leg' of your 500 worktable. And, your cut will be facing the ultimate location of your new quill-mounted lower-saw-guard. Without that template-guided cut, then it won't be possible to move the table close enough to the blade without hitting the lower quill-mounted saw-guard. The template should have a slot to guide the correct angle of your hacksaw cut.
Chris
ddresser
Silver Member

Post by ddresser »

Amazingly I found this when I was looking for it, not when I was looking for something else.

Duane
Attachments
Saw Guard Install.pdf
(172.99 KiB) Downloaded 1668 times
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Thanks for the feedback fellows - And Duane - thanks especially for going to the trouble of scanning that - Great! Just what I needed. All the best wishes to you - Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's