10ER Replacement Belt

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Caleb Flerk
Bronze Member

10ER Replacement Belt

Post by Caleb Flerk »

Hello all. I am completing the refurbishment of my dad's Shopsmith 10ER, and now am up to the pulley belt. It does not have the speed changer configuration. The belts that were with the machine are pretty ratty. Is there a common belt part number I can get at an auto store or lawn mower service shop?

The only other part I'm missing is the saw splitter - but I think I can fabricate a replacement from a piece of aluminum.

Thanks
Caleb
Milton FL
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

Be advised, I know not what I am doing and thanks to JPEG, Bill Mayo and about 150 guys I am not killing my machine and even prettifiying it, I think.
My belt reads, "4L380 DEMCO" from Dayton Electric Mfg. Co, Chicago, Ill.Z
The guy that gave me my 10ER ran it strictly for boring and I saw it operate the day I got it, so this belt works. Motor is pretty funky, all hanging away from the machine with weird wiring. I don't speak electricity and I feel I may have to learn with this guy. Hope this helps.
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Caleb;
To get close to the correct belt size do this
Measure the circumference of each pully. That would be Pi (3.14) times the diameter of the pully and divide by two. This will yield a number which is half of the circumference. Do this for both pullies and record the numbers. Then measure the distance between the center of each shaft and double this number. Add all of the numbers together and you should be very cose to the correct belt length.
Bill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"4L380" Is a 1/2" x 38" v-belt
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Welcome to the Forum Caleb. You are in good hands here. I know nothing about the 10ER but plenty of other guys here are more than willing to help you. Thanks for joining.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
hoffmanmc
Bronze Member

Owner's manual information

Post by hoffmanmc »

My 1951 Owner's Guide for 10-ER calls for a 38" O.D. V-Belt.
As the other owners have said, modern listing is 4L38 or 4L380, 1/2" by 38" V-Belt.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Hello, Caleb, from Pensacola. I have two Mark V's from the 1980's. Can't help you with them, but give me a shout out via PM. :D
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Caleb = Last Activity: 08-08-2009 11:09 PM
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Oops! Just read the posts, not the dates. Thanks, Ed. :)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D