Mark 505 Anniversary....

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

willmottpa
Bronze Member

Mark 505 Anniversary....

Post by willmottpa »

Hello All, I'm new to your planet but I think I'll like it here. I just bought a Mark 505 Anniversary Model with the Bandsaw. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between a 505 and 510 other than the tables and fence rails. Thank you. I'm kinda dumb to all this jargon so far so be gentle.
dusty
Platinum Member

Mark V Model 505/510

Post by dusty »

I never had a 505 so I can only tell you what I read. Therefore, I.m attaching a reference that may answer your question - I hope.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/markv.htm
htz308
Bronze Member

Post by htz308 »

I too started out with 505. I bought it about 3 years ago. The only difference between it and a 510 is you don't have the floating tables, connector tubes or telescoping legs. The rails are the same. So when you upgrade (and you will) to a 510 or a 520 (that's the one I chose & love it) the upgrade will only cost about half as much as a 500 to 510 or 520 upgrade.
willmottpa
Bronze Member

thanks

Post by willmottpa »

thanks for your help. I plan on upgrading to the 510 (extension table upgrade) in the near future. THe 520 looks the be the same set up only you get retangle rails and a new fence for them which comes with a larger stradler. First though, a jointer is next, then the upgrade. Any serial number bracket I should look for?
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Skip the 510 go straight to the 520, the are many changes all make the Shopsmith an even more incredible machine. There is a built-in rip scale, the new fence is stronger and has lots of ways it attach stuff with t-nuts.

I did the 500 to 510 to 520 thing and would have saved a lot by skipping the 510.
dusty
Platinum Member

505 Upgrade

Post by dusty »

I agree, if you are going to upgrade at all, your money will be much better spent by going to a 520. Those restangular rails and the rip fence that goes with them make a world of difference. The 520 is well worth the extra expense.