Lathe Accessories

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wildcard
Gold Member

Lathe Accessories

Post by wildcard »

Does anyone know if, or of any aftermarket lathe products for the shopsmith, or at least ones that will work with it, if so where might these be found.

Just got a shopsmith, the person i got it from had allot of add-ons for the other things it can do, but didnt have anything really for the lathe so i am looking for the newer tool rest and a chuck

Thanks
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

wildcard wrote:Does anyone know if, or of any aftermarket lathe products for the Shopsmith, or at least ones that will work with it, if so where might these be found.

Just got a Shopsmith, the person i got it from had allot of add-ons for the other things it can do, but didn't have anything really for the lathe so i am looking for the newer tool rest and a chuck

Thanks

Many companies make Lathe accessories for the Shopsmith, of course all lathe chisels work. The subject of tool rests is complicated, you need to start with a banjo, Shopsmith sells two the universal and the standard, I strongly recommend the universal it adds weight and configurability.

Virtually every chuck vendor offers an adapter to 5/8" plain (codename for Shopsmith), Shopsmith is a trademark. I like the Nova series, specifically the SuperNova2.

As for tool-rests (the part the chisel actually slides on), I find the Shopsmith ones too soft against a modern tool made with hardened steel so they get easily nicked. Several vendors offer hardened rests (the horizontal part) with 3/4" posts that fit both Shopsmith banjos, you can also get them with 1" posts that fit directly into the universal banjo. There is a lot of debate as to if you should use 1" posts, I have both since the posts are very cheap.

Any #2 Morse taper accessories will fit into the Shopsmith tail-stock, several vendors of special purpose lathe tools offer adapters to fit the Shopsmith but they usually don't advertise them (see trademark above).
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Welcome to the forum Wildcard. I can recommend the Robert Sorby Chuck from Packard Woodworks. They sell a Shopsmith adapter. http://www.packardwoodworks.com

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
wildcard
Gold Member

Post by wildcard »

Thanks for all the quick responces. Lots of usefull information