Using the lathe

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spike13
Gold Member

Post by Spike13 »

paul heller wrote:Woohoo! I just got a set of lathe tools and a live center from Shopsmith. They arrived today.

Most of my questions will be asked over in the intermediate woodworking forum as I've been doing this for many years. But as for lathe turning, well I'm a complete newbie.

It looks like I'll be self taught on this. I've seen Norm do it on TV, but never held a lathe tool in my hands before. Any advice or tips on how to get started and how to figure this out myself?

Thanks.

Paul
Paul,
I have to agree with Dick about catching a Shopsmith Academy when it's near you. You will find it very enlightening for the 3rd day class of lathe turning. It will give you the opportunity to see how the skew chisel is used in a shearing action, rather than the scraping action.

Start out by using the gouge first to get your piece round. This is the easiest tool to use. Watch the speeds for the size block. If you have a bandsaw, cut off at a 45 degree angle on all the corners as this will improve your turning time to get round. Circumscribe a diameter on the end of the block to see how much you can cut off. If you go by the book, ref. "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone", watch the entrance angle when you do the shearing and NEVER enter from the end of the cylinder/round. Also, keep the toe of the skew above the round piece turned. Remember this: "Don't stub you toe! It's almost like peeling potatoes. You only use the middle third of the skew. Good luck! :)
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13