Caster Reassembly (B)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Caster Reassembly (B)

Post by JPG »

This thread is the second of a series showing A method of reassembling a SS Caster Set.

I am trying a new approach by inserting the verbal instructions in to the pix.

Hind site has exposed the inadequacy of that original method. Additional comments have been added.

[ATTACH]5593[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5594[/ATTACH]
Take note of the orientation and positioning of the crank. The crank has the raised end of the spring pin hole facing out and the flats for the cams are visible.

[ATTACH]5595[/ATTACH]
Take note of the orientation and positioning of the crank. The crank has the raised end of the spring pin hole facing out and the flats for the cams are visible.

[ATTACH]5596[/ATTACH]
Note the cam 'heavy' side is facing towards the camera and the crank 'raised' end of the spring pin hole as well.

We finish up in the next link.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4113

This thread is linked to from http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=44799#post44799
Attachments
CASTER REASM (A).jpg
CASTER REASM (A).jpg (158.4 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
CASTER REASM (B).jpg
CASTER REASM (B).jpg (99.7 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
CASTER REASM (C).jpg
CASTER REASM (C).jpg (111.28 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
CASTER REASM (D).jpg
CASTER REASM (D).jpg (125.52 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Can the foot pedal be located anywhere along the length of the rod? Yes, it can but might it do damage to move it to the center of the rod?

Opinions, please.

I am often frustrated with it where I have it but it is there because of directions received.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Can the foot pedal be located anywhere along the length of the rod? Yes, it can but might it do damage to move it to the center of the rod?

Opinions, please.

I am often frustrated with it where I have it but it is there because of directions received.
The camshaft as originally manufactured has the holes for the rollpin which holds/positions the footpedal at each end.(one near each end) That is why there are two choices normally to set which end the caster mounts to the SS.

There ARE two versions out there. The older version has the holes much closer to the end. These were intended for use with a SS only.

The later version has the holes inset further from the end. This is to allow using the casters on other devices(Power Station, Crafters Station, Power Stands, planer). There is another version for the scroll saw, but I am not familiar with how it differs. The Power station...version is the same as the current SS version but does need spacers since the stands legs are further apart.

I would think CAREFUL drilling of an additional hole of the proper size and location and orientation would NOT be detrimental. The extra distance from the bearing(in the end cap) would cause more deflection when stepping on the foot pedal. This COULD be overcome by sliding a tube(tight fitting) over the camshaft on both sides of the footpedal extending to near the cams.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Caster Reassembly (B)

Post by billmayo »

dusty wrote:Can the foot pedal be located anywhere along the length of the rod? Yes, it can but might it do damage to move it to the center of the rod?

Opinions, please.

Yes, just drill the same size hole further down the rod to where you want the foot pedal. I find I have to move the foot pedal when installing the regular Shopsmith retractable casters on a Power Stand or Power Station to make it easlier to to get my foot on the foot pedal. Using aluminum or steel angle brackets, I have adapted these casters to my work bench and other power/work stands. I have an actual size drawing with holes marked that I use for this task.

If you keep the retractable caster parts clean and mostly rust free, there shold be no problem where you located the foot pedal. I use LPS Force-842 Dry Moly Lubricant spray on my caster parts as it does not attract sawdust/crud and leaves a nice finish. I find a lot of the rusty Shopsmiths I buy have rusty retractable casters that will not move in any direction. I am sure I could bend the foot pedal rod if I tried to force the casters to move. Of course, I use Kroil to free them for disassembly.

The 520 I picked recently had a small flat head allen screw in each end of the foot pedal rod. First one I have seen. Does anyone have any part numbers for this retractable caster or when they became available? Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

billmayo wrote:The 520 I picked recently had a small flat head allen screw in each end of the foot pedal rod. First one I have seen. Does anyone have any part numbers for this retractable caster or when they became available? Thanks.
Bill,
The last two 520s that I bought had the screws that you are talking about in the foot pedal rod and two of them were broken off. The threads are RH on each side and over time the screws work out. I was able to get a couple of the broken ones out with an easy-out, but ended up having to oversize and re-thread others. I used a bit longer screw that I could bottom out in the rod along with blue thread lock. I don't think the screws will work out of the rod now. I don't know when SS started using the screws in the pedal rod. I don't think they were a very good idea. Post a pic of the caster set if you have a moment.
ldh