Speed Control...?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dontolbert
Gold Member

Speed Control...?

Post by dontolbert »

Question: Should I turn the speed of the unit back to "slow" every time I power it off?
Example: I'm making multiple pieces, but need to check measurements between cuts. I make a cut, then set to slow and power off the unit to check the measurement, then speed it back up after starting it up again to do another cut.
Or should I only set it to slow when either shutting down for the day or doing a switchover?

Sounds basic, but I'm not sure...

Thanks!
Don Tolbert
Bentonville, AR
10E - sn# R-29399 - 1950
Mark V - sn# 222659 - Dec '87
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

A lot of folks will tell you to reduce the speed to slow before you turn it off every time. To me, this is too much of a pain so I don't do it. I've owned my Shopsmith for nearly 30 years and never had a problem just shutting down at whatever the speed of my last operation was.

If you use my method, there are some cautions. For example, if you shut down with the speed at the saw/joint setting and you are going to use your bandsaw next, make sure you turn on the Shopsmith and reduce to the proper speed BEFORE you connect your bandsaw. This example would apply for any SPT/operation that will require a slower speed than the current setting.
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Don, if I'm performing a bunch of the same operation in the same mode (etc. all lathe, all bandsaw, all beltsander) I don't bother setting the speed control back to it's slowest setting before shutting off. OTOH, if I know I'm going to do a change-over from one SPT to another, I WILL set it back to slow. JMHO, YMMV.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Do you have a 15 or 20 amp electrical service for your SS? If it's a 15 amp, ya might have problems with blowing the breaker, at high speeds.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Two POTENTIAL problems:

1) Tripping breaker/blowing fuse on startup at higher speed settings. You already know if THIS is a problem and probably do NOT have it since you are asking the question.

2) Moving(intentional as well as unintentional) the SS with it not running and the speed control set at a higher speed MAY cause the sheaves to shift allowing the belt to drop into the area near the center of the sheave. This MAY cause the belt to jam at startup. To prevent this, DO set speed control to a low speed setting prior to moving or when 'finished'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Speed Control...?

Post by billmayo »

tom_k/mo wrote:Don, if I'm performing a bunch of the same operation in the same mode (etc. all lathe, all bandsaw, all beltsander) I don't bother setting the speed control back to it's slowest setting before shutting off. OTOH, if I know I'm going to do a change-over from one SPT to another, I WILL set it back to slow. JMHO, YMMV.
Excellant advice. I have gotten a few bandsaw tire replacement repairs when the customer forgot to turn the speed down to SLOW after mounting the bandsaw. I recommend always turning to SLOW when quiting for the day.

From a maintenance point of view, changing the speed setting when operating the Shopsmith headstock helps prevents the sheaves from sticking to their shafts and the belts from sticking to the sheaves from being operated at the same speed setting for long periods of time. The more times you change the speed setting, the sooner you need to do the lubrication of the headstock. Lack of lubrication is the major headstock repair problem that I get from customers. Again, I recommend the Zoom Sprout Turbine Oil for sheave lubrication plus that was what the Shopsmith factory was using last year when I was there.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
markap
Gold Member

Post by markap »

I only turn the speed control to slow before final shut off for the day - and I generally only do this when it's cold. Starting the motor at a high speed on a cold day seems to be a big draw. Not sure how bad it really is for the motor but it does take it a while to get up to speed.
SS MV 520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, belt sander, mortise unit, biscut jointer, speed reducer, tool rest upgrade, sliding cross cut table, DC3300
dontolbert
Gold Member

Speed Control....?

Post by dontolbert »

Thanks to all for the advice. Seemed somewhat redundant to start saw, speed up, make a cut, slow down, stop saw. Start saw, speed up, make a cut, slow down, stop saw.....rinse & repeat.....
Don Tolbert
Bentonville, AR
10E - sn# R-29399 - 1950
Mark V - sn# 222659 - Dec '87
dusty
Platinum Member

Speed Control

Post by dusty »

I hardly ever turn the speed down other than when I am preparing to make a configuration change.

However, I use my machine almost every day and I lubricated to excess.

I blow the sawdust out of the headstock every time I have it open and I periodically open it and drop the motor down onto the tubes so that I can blow out the motor.

Right or wrong; good, bad or indifferent that is what I do. So far I have a sweet running fifteen year old machine that has been packed up and relocated severeal times. I have had no major problems at all (power switches don't count).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

speed change

Post by dlbristol »

I have nothing to add to what has been said. They know more than I. I usually back off to a slower speed if I am operating at a higher speed like jointer or if my shop is cold. I don't on slower operations. Start up at high speeds caused a breaker to blow at times. Other wise I started doing what Dusty does. I have noticed that after I got a good dust collection system, I don't have as much resistance moving the speed changer after I have gone awhile without changing speeds. I also blow out the headstock pretty often. Also, my diligence in dialing down became less when I had a better electrical system put in the shop. I don't worry about it as much as I used to. As Dusty stated lots of lubrication is a good idea, it is easy to do and offers me a reminder to look around in there for other issues. If you watch some of the saw dust sessions, Nick will do it both ways.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave