Drill press vise

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wildcard
Gold Member

Drill press vise

Post by wildcard »

Has anyone ever used one of these, i was wondering if it would mount to the shopsmith
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=1631

or if anyone has a better alternative, i normally dont use harbor, but for something like this you would really have to try to mess it up
stevespix
Gold Member

Post by stevespix »

I have a stand alone drill press and use one very similar that I bought at harbor freight. It does the trick and have had no problems for $16 how can you go wrong. :)
wildcard
Gold Member

Post by wildcard »

That was what i was thinking, my main question is more of a will it mount to the shopsmith or not
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

It should fit. As long as you drill the holes in the table correctly.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Another suggestion that might work instead of drilling holes in your table top is using a couple of the Shopsmith T-nuts(514491) and either some 1/4 20 bolts or knobs to hold it in place.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

In the past 30 years, I have only run across a need for a drill press vise when drilling harder metals like steel. Otherwise, I have had great success using either the miter gauge or the rip fence or both (occasionally with clamps) to hold a wood workpiece. In a production situation, a standard drill press vise is just too slow unless it has a speed screw.
regnar
Gold Member

Post by regnar »

Something to point out is this is made of steel where your table is made of aluminum. It will scratch the table top when you move it around. So something in between would be suggested.

Something to check out when you are at HF is the moveable jaw. The base of the moveable jaw is short so you might end up with lift up. This will make your hole no longer cut at 90 degrees. There is a easy fix by inserting a round stock in between the object getting clamped and the moveable jaw.

A good thing to note is that it looks like it has replaceable jaws so you can add your own custom ones.

Bring a level to the store or pick one off the shelf. Sometimes where the piece that is getting clamped is not in plane with the bottom of the vise. This will just make setting up that much more of a pain.

Although this one is pretty light just keep weight into consideration incase you find a different one there that you like better.

What do you plan on using this for. If it is to hold small work you might want to look for a toolmakers vise instead.
"Sua Sponte"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The swivel adds one more thing to cause mis-alighment. Unless you have some need for the swivel feature, get a simpler one. One with a sliding clamp(plunger and clamping lever) is preferable as has been mentioned. IMHO the heavier the better. Its purpose IS to hold things. v grooves in the jaws is a plus(holding round objects properly aligned).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
regnar
Gold Member

Post by regnar »

Heavier is better until you stick a bunch of weight onto a 2 tubes and a aluminum table. I have a vise now that weight almost as much as my wife but throwing it onto the SS might bring some bigger problems than just holding the work piece. I have seen table flex with just 40lbs in table saw mode. It would be even worse in drill press mode. Just IMHO
"Sua Sponte"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

regnar wrote:Heavier is better until you stick a bunch of weight onto a 2 tubes and a aluminum table. I have a vise now that weight almost as much as my wife but throwing it onto the SS might bring some bigger problems than just holding the work piece. I have seen table flex with just 40lbs in table saw mode. It would be even worse in drill press mode. Just IMHO
OK! Bigger is better UP TO A POINT!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange