One of my secrets... support table setup

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

One of my secrets... support table setup

Post by reible »

Hi,

Once upon a time long long ago when I still had my 500 setup and I was working on some remodeling project I can upon an idea that I will now share with you.

It starts with a drywall square, they cost in the area of $15 so this is not a big investment and if you have one already then I'll show you another use for it.

I have posted some pictures which should make this clear but before we get to them I wanted to point out just a few things. The head of the square is done with a long arm and a short arm. The long arm weighs more so the square tips to the edge of the blade just by placing it on the saw table. You don't care of the tool is square but rather that the blade is straight.

This works very well when setting up the old 500's extension tables but it can also be used on the newer systems to get things close for the tubes... I don't often get it out for that process any more.

It works well for setting up the support table or the extension table brackets or even a roller stand if it is not to far away.

They are light weight, cheap, easy to use and work well......

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2398562311

If I were teaching a shopsmith class this would be one thing I would show you. Since this is not a class you get this information for free and as you know you most often get what you pay for.

Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Thanks, reible. Where do I send the fee. ;)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reiable - I send my thanks also! Now I know what to do with that drywall square.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I've used a 4 foot level for the same sort of thing - I don't pay attention to the bubbles in the level because my floor isn't prefectly level - but the straightedge is perfect for aligning extension tables - even if they are a foot or more away from the main table. Good post - Thanks!