Hurricane Shutters

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcf
Gold Member

Hurricane Shutters

Post by rcf »

I got sick and tired of dragging out the plywood, and boarding up my house, every time a hurricane was coming close. So I decided to work smarter, NOT harder. Besides, getting older now made it difficult at best. My wife can’t help, she’s very petite, has bronchitis and C.O.P.D. as well.

So I made a ‘barn door’ to cover the 8 ft patio door, all I have to do now is slide it in place, one hand. It worked so well that I made one to match for the front picture window, which is 4 ft X 8 ft plus. Now it’s easy, all I have to do is slide the hurricane shutters in place, and lock them down. No more straining and swearing.

The frames are 2X6 half lapped, with 5/8 th’s plywood centers. I used construction adhesive, and deck screws as well. The 1X3 trim is also screwed into the frame, and the plywood, to give even more strength. Those of you who live in ‘hurricane country’ will know what a chore it can be.

The frames were cut, lapped, and dadoed (for the plywood centers) on my Shopsmith. I painted them to match the house color, and the trim was painted with bronze paint to match the patio and window frames. I’ve attached pictures of my latest project.
Attachments
Hurricane Shutters 018.jpg
Hurricane Shutters 018.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
Hurricane Shutters 019.jpg
Hurricane Shutters 019.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Hurricane Shutters 023.jpg
Hurricane Shutters 023.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
"The road between friends is never long"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rcf wrote:I got sick and tired of dragging out the plywood, and boarding up my house, every time a hurricane was coming close. So I decided to work smarter, NOT harder. Besides, getting older now made it difficult at best. My wife can’t help, she’s very petite, has bronchitis and C.O.P.D. as well.

So I made a ‘barn door’ to cover the 8 ft patio door, all I have to do now is slide it in place, one hand. It worked so well that I made one to match for the front picture window, which is 4 ft X 8 ft plus. Now it’s easy, all I have to do is slide the hurricane shutters in place, and lock them down. No more straining and swearing.

The frames are 2X6 half lapped, with 5/8 th’s plywood centers. I used construction adhesive, and deck screws as well. The 1X3 trim is also screwed into the frame, and the plywood, to give even more strength. Those of you who live in ‘hurricane country’ will know what a chore it can be.

The frames were cut, lapped, and dadoed (for the plywood centers) on my Shopsmith. I painted them to match the house color, and the trim was painted with bronze paint to match the patio and window frames. I’ve attached pictures of my latest project.
Excellent solution! They look purty good also! Paint the track next.;)

GOOD JOB!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Great looking. They don't distract from the appearance of the house either.
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Good looking, good thinking!

Let's hope you don't need them.

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Issue noted - Issue presented to Shop smith owner - Issue resolved!:D

Nice work, RFC! In addition to the relief on your back, you deserve a big ATTA BOY!!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
discordanian
Gold Member

Post by discordanian »

Excellent thinking. I think that the track system is a great idea.

Here's to hoping you don't have to find out first hand how well they work.
regnar
Gold Member

Post by regnar »

I like the ideal for the sliding glass doors. I learned years ago that I will never go to Home Depot right before a storm. We (wife and I) waited over 8 hours to get wood for my father in-laws place. Ended up with 5 sheets of 3/8 ply. I have 3/4 ply already cut out for all the windows and pre drilled and tapped. It takes me about 30 minutes to board up but this one window is murder.
"Sua Sponte"
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi rcf,

I like them! They look a lot better then I thought they wood, as I read your description! Great job!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have a better idea let us all vote not the have anymore hurricanes! :D

Seriously I like the idea unfortunately I don't have the room to slide off to the side of the window or doors. I have thought of shutters but again on the windows where they would be most practical I simply don't have the room.

I will be interested in hearing what kind of interesting bugs decide to built homes behind those open covers. I imagine the Mud Doblers will have a field day build their mud structures between the cover and the house.

Be sure to call your insurance company and let them know you got these in place, it will help lower the hurricane portion of your insurance.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi;
Nice job on the hurricane shutters. Where are you in central Florida?
I am in Leesburg about 10 miles south of The Villages
Bill