Creating Shopsmith Video/DVD Series

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Would you like to see Shopsmith How-to DVD's made avaiable?

Poll ended at Sat May 19, 2007 4:22 pm

No
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 29

woodburner
Gold Member

Creating Shopsmith Video/DVD Series

Post by woodburner »

Hi Everyone,

There seems to be much discussion about the need for some videos featuring Shopsmith tools. Instruction on alignment and maintence seems to be in the biggest demand.
It seems to me that the need is great enough that I have put this idea of videos/DVD's into motion. They will be DVD's though, not video tape. I have the experience, in both Shopsmith woodworking and video/DVD production, that I will be able to make some nice DVD's about woodworking using the Shopsmith and other tools. I also have both the video/DVD production and woodworking equipment to make it happen. I also have on-camera experience, so that is not a problem either.
The one thing I need from all of you is to let me know how great of a need there actual is. It does cost money and time to produce such a DVD series, or even just one DVD. If everyone who would be interested in seeing a DVD, or a series of DVD's, geared towards woodworking with Shopsmith tools, please let me know by posting replies here, or sending me emails. I figure if I can get at least 125 or more positive responses in the next couple weeks from different Shopsmith owners/users, it will be worthwhile on my part to create the DVD's. Depending on production costs, I would have to charge between $25.00-$30.00 each. They will be DVD's, not VHS.
The first DVD would include alignment and maint., along with set-up of the five basic elements of the Shopsmith and some of its accessories. The second would include segments on the use and maint. of some of the major attachments incl. the bandsaw, jointer and belt sander. After those, I can get into some project making including jigs, and woodturning.
Please, let me know what you think of the DVD series idea. I am crazy enough to actual get it done and out there to everyone. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from all of you soon.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
billmayo
Platinum Member

Woodworking/Shopsmith Videos

Post by billmayo »

Hey guys, what he is proposing is already out there. Not only is it out there but it can be anything you want it to be. If you want to see more Shopsmith videos, ask them. That is the whole idea of the site "members supporting members". They will do the video if we want to learn it.

Go to http://www.onlineshopclass.com and join.
There is a whole section on setting up the Shopsmith and MUCH of what they do, they do with MK5's. These videos can be viewed 24 hours a day by members. I am a member. A LOT more videos are planned.
Furthermore Shopsmith supports the site big time.
Check it out.

Bill Mayo
woodburner wrote:Hi Everyone,

There seems to be much discussion about the need for some videos featuring Shopsmith tools. Instruction on alignment and maintence seems to be in the biggest demand.
It seems to me that the need is great enough that I have put this idea of videos/DVD's into motion. They will be DVD's though, not video tape. I have the experience, in both Shopsmith woodworking and video/DVD production, that I will be able to make some nice DVD's about woodworking using the Shopsmith and other tools. I also have both the video/DVD production and woodworking equipment to make it happen. I also have on-camera experience, so that is not a problem either.
The one thing I need from all of you is to let me know how great of a need there actual is. It does cost money and time to produce such a DVD series, or even just one DVD. If everyone who would be interested in seeing a DVD, or a series of DVD's, geared towards woodworking with Shopsmith tools, please let me know by posting replies here, or sending me emails. I figure if I can get at least 125 or more positive responses in the next couple weeks from different Shopsmith owners/users, it will be worthwhile on my part to create the DVD's. Depending on production costs, I would have to charge between $25.00-$30.00 each. They will be DVD's, not VHS.
The first DVD would include alignment and maint., along with set-up of the five basic elements of the Shopsmith and some of its accessories. The second would include segments on the use and maint. of some of the major attachments incl. the bandsaw, jointer and belt sander. After those, I can get into some project making including jigs, and woodturning.
Please, let me know what you think of the DVD series idea. I am crazy enough to actual get it done and out there to everyone. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from all of you soon.
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

That may be, and good for that site. I'm not going to put someone down like you seem to be doing:( . I do though want to mention a couple of the many BIG ADVANTAGES about what I want to do vs. the internet. You don't need to be plugged into the internet to view it. And also, you only have to pay once for the DVD that I want to produce. Not a monthly fee for a whole year, which I am sure will add up quickly.
There are a whole lot of other woodworking videos/DVD's out there, and what I am planning will add to the information that's there, complement it, and show how to use a woodworking system that you don't see very often on video.
I right now, at this time, have a proposal heading for the desk of the CEO of Shopsmith telling them of my idea and I'm hoping for their blessing soon.
As far as watching woodworking videos online, there is a site called "The Woodworking Channel" where you can watch woodworking shows for free. It may not have all the Shopsmith info, but there is a lot general and specialized woodworking info on that site.
So please, do not put me down for doing what a lot of Shopsmith woodworkers have been asking for. Watching videos online versus having videos/DVD's to watch at your convenience are two completely different animals and you really can't compare the two. I do believe there is plenty of room out there for both videos/DVD's and an online site, along with several others that are already out there and those I'm sure are also being developed at this time.
So please, don't put me down for wanting to help educate those who want to learn how to use there Shopsmith's, because that is exactly what the site you are talking about is wanting to do, but just in a different format than mine.
So if you want to put me down for what I want to do, fine. Just don't promote the online site in the same breath.

P.S. I have been in contact with Dr. Dave about that website and becoming part of his "Build Team". My application is on his way to him right now. So, do I think the website is good? YES! Do I think my idea is good? YES!

Enough Said!
Sawdust & Shavings,
easterngray
Platinum Member

DVD's

Post by easterngray »

I think it's a good idea, but I would like to see it for less than 25-30 dollars. I know there is alot of work involved, and I do recognize that it's worth that much - but that cost would be hard for me to justify. Could it be done for less cost to the user by simply posting the content in a downloadable form on the 'net and allowing users to save on their computer? After all - we're all internet savy or we wouldn't be here! Please keep us informed - I look forward to seeing some lessons. Thanks for the effort - Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Ss Dvd

Post by a1gutterman »

Why would anybody vote no?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

The thing is that any new video needs to have real value - it needs to go beyond the kind of things one might find in the instruction manual. I've picked up a few tips and tricks from surfing through this forum and that is the kind of thing I would spend $ for to get a DVD. I think I've got it figured out how to set up and square the machine - but things like making a half-degree change to the table tilt was a big problem for me until some suggestions from this forum. In building puzzles, I typically work with accuracy to the 100th of an inch and it took some practice and special jigs to get that out of a SS without having to buy all the Incra stuff. I've also seen some interesting jigs and home-made accessories on this forum that I'd be interested in learning more about. I'm fairly new to the forum so I have a LOT more exploring to do - but for new videos to have any value they shouldn't be rehashes of instructional material already available. You have my support and best wishes in your endeavor!
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I'd gladly part with $25 or so. However, I'd really want to get an idea first if the video were of adequate quality with good closeups, lighting, etc. Perhaps you could first post a short howto for free, even before you commit to a full DVD, to gauge people's interest, get feedback, etc. How to lube might be a good, quick, easy topic.

Roy
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your interest in these videos. With all your support, I can't go wrong. Here is an update on what is happening right now, and some answers to questions you have asked.
First, I would like to ask everyone if they could mention what they would like to see in the first video. Depending the requests, and the popularity of certain requests, I can include them in the first video. I do have a storyboard already created for the first video, but things can be added or changed at the present moment. But once production starts, no changes can be made. So get your requests in early.
As far as the price is concerned, I know that seems high, but it is in the middle of the average market cost for most woodworking instructional videos on the market today. I didn't create that price just to boost my profit margin. Right now the price I quoted earlier is just an estimate. Once I finish with all the budget and financial work in the next week, I will have a better clue as to what I need to charge. I will make sure that I will price the video's as low as I can, but still be able to cover the costs of producing them.
As for the request of making some sort of small preview of what will be on the video's available online, I will do my best. I plan on creating a website to market the videos, and hopefully I will be able to offer a sample of what is on the videos when I get the site up and running. If that is not possible for me to do, I will be able to send a video attachment via email to whoever requests it before they make their purchase.
As far as a timeline as to when the first video will be available, I am shooting for the end of May-early June 07.
I will be keeping everyone posted on the progress of production. I plan on shooting to begin the 1st week of May, and editing and production runs the second half of May.
Again, thanks for all your support and I will be posting regularly to keep everyone informed.
Sawdust & Shavings,
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I would like to see some information on aligning the end tables, I am able to align the main table to the blade but getting the 520 ends and floating tables aligned is always difficult. Also as others said home made accessories are always interesting. I like "Norms" videos where you see how it is done and get something built.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

If you can get ahold of the setup tape for a shopsmith it covers alignment real well. It was on you tube but I checked lately and it got yanked. Also like someone else put it you can watch some of this on the onlineshopclass