Frozen Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair - Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

The jaws and holes were not numbered on mine either. Mine was an actual 3326, not a multicraft but I cant tell any difference.

Upon reassembly, I did not make sure to put the jaws back in the same holes, but I did make sure to keep the jaws in the same position relative to each other and the chuck has performed flawlessly.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:The jaws and holes were not numbered on mine either. Mine was an actual 3326, not a multicraft but I cant tell any difference.

Upon reassembly, I did not make sure to put the jaws back in the same holes, but I did make sure to keep the jaws in the same position relative to each other and the chuck has performed flawlessly.

Me being a stats guy, you stood a 1 in 6 chance, (16.7% probability) of assembling the 3 jaws into the correct 3 holes due purely to chance. Looks like you did it!! You lucky dog you. Next thing you know, your going to run into some once in a lifetime SWEET deal on a ShopSmith :D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Wonderfully done, Mike! I have wondered, for many years, how to disassemble a drill chuck!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

mickyd wrote:Me being a stats guy, you stood a 1 in 6 chance, (16.7% probability) of assembling the 3 jaws into the correct 3 holes due purely to chance. Looks like you did it!!

I'm not a mathamagician, so can you explain the math? I was thinking I had a 1 in 3 chance. If I keep the jaws the same position relative to each other, there are only 3 possible positions. See attached crude diagrams.

Were you able to see any differences with the holes in the body or with the jaws that would require specific holes and jaws to be matched? I couldn't see anything like that on mine. The only difference was the threads or the jaws so they needed to be in the right order.
mickyd wrote:You lucky dog you. Next thing you know, your going to run into some once in a lifetime SWEET deal on a ShopSmith :D
:D :D ;)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 8010 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 8001 times
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="heathicus"]I'm not a mathamagician, so can you explain the math? I was thinking I had a 1 in 3 chance. If I keep the jaws the same position relative to each other, there are only 3 possible positions. See attached crude diagrams.

Were you able to see any differences with the holes in the body or with the jaws that would require specific holes and jaws to be matched? I couldn't see anything like that on mine. The only difference was the threads or the jaws so they needed to be in the right order.

:D :D ]

Probability 101

Inference: "How many possible combinations are there of 3 things?"
Answer: 3 factorial = 3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6

Hole A, B, C
Jaw 1, 2, 3

so

A.....B.....C

You see now grasshopper? :p
Mike
Sunny San Diego
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

mickyd wrote:Probability 101

Inference: "How many possible combinations are there of 3 things?"
Answer: 3 factorial = 3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6

Hole A, B, C
Jaw 1, 2, 3

so

A.....B.....C

You see now grasshopper? :p
um, Mike, I think you missed the constraint of the jaws being in the same (original) relative position.

that reduces the possibilities to:
A.....B.....C

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

iclark wrote:um, Mike, I think you missed the constraint of the jaws being in the same (original) relative position.

A.....B.....C

Ivan
AND since the holes ARE identical, the possibility of Ivan getting his assembled 'Properly' is 100% with his 'sequence/order restraint.

Mike's potential number of combinations are 2 since the holes ARE identical. IF he got it wrong, he only needed to reverse the position of two of them.
123 == 231 == 312
132 == 321 == 213
ABC .... ABC .... ABC

In fairness to Mike, he was acting on info that implied the holes were unique. Thanks for the peek at your info source. I found it quite different(good) from the jacobschuck site(more history/insight to real world dealing with the repair of the chucks).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

I just hope I don't need to take my apart, Math and I don't mix. I look at pictures.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

obviously I don't read before I send either:eek:
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

iclark wrote:um, Mike, I think you missed the constraint of the jaws being in the same (original) relative position.

A.....B.....C

Ivan

what about :confused: :confused:
A.....B.....C
Mike
Sunny San Diego