Jointer noise

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Jointer noise

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I have a very old Magna (green 1954) jointer and it's started making a little noise. Since I like to leave the jointer set up with the table saw so I can rip a board and then clean up the edge on the jointer, I've run it alot in the last 50 years. I took it apart and found some permanent pressed on bearings that seem alright.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I test the bearing to see if they are "going bad"?
2. Is there any way to lubricate the bearing? (I don't think so, but have to ask.)
3. If I need to replace them, how do I get the bearings off of the shaft and out of the bearing housings? How do I "press on" the new ones?
4. Has anyone tried this?
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I have bought bearings from Shopsmith and from the local Bearing Belt and Chain store.

Use a puller to remove the bearings or if available use a press to remove and replace them. The bearings I have replaced are not an undersized press fit so I supported the bearing with a vise then gently tapped the shaft using a hammer over a block of hardwood. To install, use a block of wood with a hole drilled out to just go over the shaft and very gently tap on the block until the bearing is just seated.

The bearing puller or press is best but I have had several years use out of my jointer by changing the bearings using a vise. Also changed bearings on the Belt Sander, Quill Assembly, and Drive Sleeve Assembly this way. Just be careful and go easy.

Jim in Tucson
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

If you don't have access to the special tools, you can use temperature differentials to do the job. I just replaces the bearings on a jointer, and I used a heat gun to warm the bearing housings, they then slipped right off. Heating the bearings themselves next, I used a homemade slide hammer on them and they slid off quite easily.
To reinstall, I put the cutter head in the freezer overnight and the new bearings slid into place with just a little coaxing from a 1/2 inch socket. Warming the housings again let them slip easily onto the bearings.
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Thanks! I've ordered the bearings from SS and will update the post when they arrive. The heating idea makes perfect sense and I'll try it.

You can see that I'm a woodworker, not a machinists.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Well, the new bearings arrived today. It only took me about 30 minutes to remove the old ones and replace them.

I didn't have to use heat. All of the housings and bearings came off with some applied force. I was able to get the ones on the power side off with a hammer and punch; the outboard side required a crow bar.

Installing the new ones was a cinch. I used a screw clamp over the bearing to "straddle" the axle so I could apply force to both sides simultaneously and not damage the bearing.

The machine is now quieter. I'm still amazed that the old bearings lasted 54 years!! Other than the noise, they were still going fine. I can never say enough about the simplisity and quality of the SS products.
dusty
Platinum Member

Jointer Noise (All Gone)

Post by dusty »

Does this say something for "American Made"? I think so!!!
zukidriver
Bronze Member

Post by zukidriver »

Not really. It says something for a well designed machine. The bearings obviously are large enough or over size for the application. Where you usually see problems is when you try to use to small of a bearing. They usually burn up allot faster, or are easier to overload.

This of course is coming from my background working with vehicles, and bearings on axles.