Help Please

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bing5
Silver Member

Help Please

Post by bing5 »

I have recently inhereted a shopsmth clone,- a Johnson 5 in 1 multitool - it looks like it is a copy of the Shopsmith mark five. It is in pretty good condition and I would like to resore it, this requires fixing the variable speed assembly which is missing the floating sheave. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can find out if the Shopsmith parts will match? If so I will purchase the Speed Control Assembly deal that shopsmith has asuming that this includes the floating sheave???? Apreciate any advice. Cheers from down under.

BING
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

Since we are fairly brand-name loyal here you might get attacked by suggesting such a thing :) however, one inexpensive way to find out might be to purchase the parts you think might fit via ebay - unfortunately many people part out their SS machines on ebay. Those of us loyal to SS think of this as a travesty but it might work to your advantage. Good luck!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

bing5 wrote:I have recently inhereted a shopsmth clone,- a Johnson 5 in 1 multitool - it looks like it is a copy of the Shopsmith mark five. It is in pretty good condition and I would like to resore it, this requires fixing the variable speed assembly which is missing the floating sheave. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can find out if the Shopsmith parts will match? If so I will purchase the Speed Control Assembly deal that shopsmith has asuming that this includes the floating sheave???? Apreciate any advice. Cheers from down under.

BING
Hello Bing! Welcome to the forum!

I tried to look up the Johnson 5 in 1 machine on the INTERNET to no avail. Have no idea if parts are interchangeable. Not knowing, at all, what a Johnson 5 in 1 tool is, I will try to help. First - do you have a Shopsmith catalog? If not you can get one by ordering one at the Shopsmith web site or by phoning 1-800-543-7586 in the USA. Then look up the parts you think you need.

As I look (in the catalog) at the exploded view of the Shopsmith (SS) headstock assembly, I find the Speed control has nothing to do with a floating sheave. The floating sheave, on the SS Mark V is on the motor shaft. It is the sheave on the outside. The other sheave on this shaft is named the fan sheave and is fixed on the shaft. The floating sheave only costs in the neighborhood of $26. (Prices are going up in May) If this sheave is missing - you may be missing some other parts for this assembly. It is best to find if you are missing other parts as well.

If you are truly talking about the speed control assembly - that is an entirely different animal. There you are talking about the quadrant assembly,worm control shaft, washers, rings, etc.

If you can find a SS owner in your vicinity - maybe you can look at their machine and get a better idea. I think there a some on this forum from Australia - maybe they can help.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hey Bing! Found this on the SS Site today! Look at page 6.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/prod ... 0_1_14.pdf
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA