Machine shutting down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bthandyman
Bronze Member

Machine shutting down

Post by bthandyman »

my shopsmith ran fine earlier in the day, but now the machine starts up for about 5-10 seconds and the trips a breaker. Nothing smells burnt, just wondering if anybody has an idea how to fix this problem
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

What else is on that circuit? Have ya lubed it lately?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

bthandyman wrote:my shopsmith ran fine earlier in the day, but now the machine starts up for about 5-10 seconds and the trips a breaker. Nothing smells burnt, just wondering if anybody has an idea how to fix this problem
Do you have the Mark V plugged into the same circuit (wall outlet) as it was plugged into earlier?

Do you know what other equipment is plugged into that same circuit?

Are you now using an extension cord that you were not using earlier?

When it "starts up", is the blade actually turning or is the motor just humming?
MarkFive510
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BigSky wrote:Do you have the Mark V plugged into the same circuit (wall outlet) as it was plugged into earlier?

Do you know what other equipment is plugged into that same circuit?

Are you now using an extension cord that you were not using earlier?

When it "starts up", is the blade actually turning or is the motor just humming?
ALL Good Questions!

Add where is the speed control set? It needs to be run down to slow b4 turning off. It has to work much harder(draw more electrical current) to start up at higher speed settings.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mreese
Silver Member

Post by mreese »

Put the sander disc on and spin it by hand as you slowly return the speed dial to low speed.

It draws too much power to start at high speed.
We're guessing that's what the problem is.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Machine shutting down

Post by billmayo »

bthandyman wrote:my shopsmith ran fine earlier in the day, but now the machine starts up for about 5-10 seconds and the trips a breaker. Nothing smells burnt, just wondering if anybody has an idea how to fix this problem
If none of the previous suggestions work, I would slide the belt housing to the end of the way tubes and set the speed control dial to FAST, Rotate the belt off the floating sheave but do not let the floating sheave go, ease it close. Turn the motor on and let operate for a while to see if you still have the problem. At this time, I would put the sanding disk on the quill shaft and see how free does it rotate. Should not have any trouble turning the disk and it should be free to turn without any hangups.

The last Shopsmith I fixed with a similar problem had the centrifugal switch points stuck/welded together so the start windings stayed energized.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)