I am new - Just got two SS - 10E and 10ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

viking1965
Bronze Member

I am new - Just got two SS - 10E and 10ER

Post by viking1965 »

I am a new user. Just picked up a model 10E and a 10ER together for $50! The ER is working and pretty complete, but the E is missing a motor and all the workings inside the head unit. The ER fired right up and works fine. It needs some cleanup and paint, but I like it. Included are the planer, scrollsaw, and misc. bits.

I am curious about the Speed Changer I keep hearing about. Also, I need help freeing up the inner workings of the scrollsaw head. It also needs the shaft replaced that the blade arbor attaches to. Help and comments are welcome.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

viking1965 wrote:I am a new user. Just picked up a model 10E and a 10ER together for $50! The ER is working and pretty complete, but the E is missing a motor and all the workings inside the head unit. The ER fired right up and works fine. It needs some cleanup and paint, but I like it. Included are the planer, scrollsaw, and misc. bits.

I am curious about the Speed Changer I keep hearing about. Also, I need help freeing up the inner workings of the scrollsaw head. It also needs the shaft replaced that the blade arbor attaches to. Help and comments are welcome.
Welcome, viking1965,
I do knot/have knot owned a 10, so am unable to help you, but there are several 10 owners here who will probably jump in any minute...:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We need pix of 'scrollsaw'. The 10e/r had a unique jigsaw. What you have MAY be a later model jigsaw. I doubt you have the newest 'scrollsaw'. A pix WILL tell us.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
viking1965
Bronze Member

RE: Scrollsaw

Post by viking1965 »

I think you are right. It is probably a jigsaw. Regardless; just getting familiar with resources for keeping this one up and running. Thanks.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

[quote="viking1965"]I think you are right. It is probably a jigsaw. Regardless]

A great source of information is the 10ER Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shopsmith10ERusers/