Extension/Floating Table Attachment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am preparing to attach some fixtures to the edge of my extension tables but the edges are exceedingly rough. I want to file these edges smooth and true to the table tops but I am concerned about removing the material.

Is this a joint between the top and the sides or is it just material that is residual from the casting process and adds no structural integrity??
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF you ARE referring to the shallow rough ridge running from front to back about 1/8: below the top surface, IMHO it CAN be removed without affecting structural integrity of the table. I believe that roughness is a parting line caused by the die cast mold.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Whatever that rough area is, it was causing me alignment problems with one of my home made jigs. Note the operative word WAS.

I filed the side of one extension tables smooth, to eliminate the rough edge. I also passed it by the conical disk a couple times to make that side parallel to the other. Basically, I squared the side of the table with the bosses on the end of the table.

Just as a side comment....This does not necessarily mean that one cannot do damage by filing and grinding as I have. If you decide to do this yourself, for whatever reason, it could end the usefulness of an extension table.

If I have any problems with this table that could possibly be caused by the grinding, I will report that here.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Assuming you did NOT overdo it(grinding) I do NOT think you have created any problem. I assume you removed just enough material to get a true edge(not very much!).

I am wOndering what you ARE 'adapting"!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

JPG40504 wrote:Assuming you did NOT overdo it(grinding) I do NOT think you have created any problem. I assume you removed just enough material to get a true edge(not very much!).

I am wOndering what you ARE 'adapting"!
Your over-development is showing........
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

JPG40504 wrote: I am wOndering what you ARE 'adapting"!

"adapting"?

I thought he was attaching. Wouldn't that be "adOpting"?
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;